Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend has an hianal hernia. He has been coughing a great deal. Doc prescribed reglan and prilosec. We are not certain his cough is related to that, anyone have that? If so, what are you taking for it?

G

·
Many people have hiatal hernias and it is very rare that the hernia needs to be treated (only if it becomes strangulated, and again, that is very rare). Some doctors believe that hiatal hernias can make heartburn/reflux symptoms worse, and if someone is symptomatic they will be given meds like Reglan, Prilosec, Prevacid, etc. The good news is that hiatal hernias are pretty common, they are not dangerous (most are discovered "by accident" when a person has a workup for heartburn or a related problem), and treatment is not aimed at the hernia itself, but any other GI symptoms that may be going on. I have reflux and I don't take Reglan (I take Prilosec, Pepto, and Gaviscon) but many people I have talked with do. I'm sure your boyfriend will be fine--it is always weird when you have to come to terms with something new going on in your body. P.S. If he has heartburn, the cough could be coming from the acid going up in his throat and irritating it, it could be due to a medication, or it could be one of those nonspecific little things that go away. Best wishes to both of you.

G

·
Many people have hiatal hernias and it is very rare that the hernia needs to be treated (only if it becomes strangulated, and again, that is very rare). Some doctors believe that hiatal hernias can make heartburn/reflux symptoms worse, and if someone is symptomatic they will be given meds like Reglan, Prilosec, Prevacid, etc. The good news is that hiatal hernias are pretty common, they are not dangerous (most are discovered "by accident" when a person has a workup for heartburn or a related problem), and treatment is not aimed at the hernia itself, but any other GI symptoms that may be going on. I have reflux and I don't take Reglan (I take Prilosec, Pepto, and Gaviscon) but many people I have talked with do. I'm sure your boyfriend will be fine--it is always weird when you have to come to terms with something new going on in your body. P.S. If he has heartburn, the cough could be coming from the acid going up in his throat and irritating it, it could be due to a medication, or it could be one of those nonspecific little things that go away. Best wishes to both of you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have hiatal hernia.Acid reflux due to the hiatal hernia can cause coughing and even pneumonia, because stomach acid winds up in the lungs.My symptoms eased considerably when I stopped playing trombone. It appears that all the squeezing of the abdomen and diaphragm required for playing was aggravating the problem.In my experience, Gaviscon antacid with protective foam (sodium alginate) was very effective, and didn't produce the horrible side effects that the various acid blockers gave me. Your results may vary.Surgical fixes to this problem can be done, and are typically very successful. What I don't know is whether this can be done by laparascope or whether it requires open surgery.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have hiatal hernia.Acid reflux due to the hiatal hernia can cause coughing and even pneumonia, because stomach acid winds up in the lungs.My symptoms eased considerably when I stopped playing trombone. It appears that all the squeezing of the abdomen and diaphragm required for playing was aggravating the problem.In my experience, Gaviscon antacid with protective foam (sodium alginate) was very effective, and didn't produce the horrible side effects that the various acid blockers gave me. Your results may vary.Surgical fixes to this problem can be done, and are typically very successful. What I don't know is whether this can be done by laparascope or whether it requires open surgery.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I too have a Hiatel Hernia. Mine is what is called roaming. When I have trouble, it usually affects my ability to swallow food and causes indigestion. All I do for it is an antacid until it calms down, and I have to watch my eating.Good luck,Donna ----- '-)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I too have a Hiatel Hernia. Mine is what is called roaming. When I have trouble, it usually affects my ability to swallow food and causes indigestion. All I do for it is an antacid until it calms down, and I have to watch my eating.Good luck,Donna ----- '-)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a hiatal hernia which was repaired laproscopically 7 years ago. Unfortunately it is acting up again. I have had horrible heartburn and acid reflux into my throat. It can cause coughing, burning of the esophagus and burning or pain under the breast bone. I have tried Aciphex, Pepcid, Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid with no relief. Right now I am taking Zantac twice a day with little relief. I had a 24 hour pH test done last week and haven't heard the results of it yet but I fully expect that I will need surgery again. The upper GI did show a paraesophageal hernia which is enlarging. Make sure that your boyfriend continues to see his doctor, especially if he has problems with reflux as it can cause a precancerous condition of the esophagus called "Barretts esophagus" from the continual acid in there. Good luck to him.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a hiatal hernia which was repaired laproscopically 7 years ago. Unfortunately it is acting up again. I have had horrible heartburn and acid reflux into my throat. It can cause coughing, burning of the esophagus and burning or pain under the breast bone. I have tried Aciphex, Pepcid, Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid with no relief. Right now I am taking Zantac twice a day with little relief. I had a 24 hour pH test done last week and haven't heard the results of it yet but I fully expect that I will need surgery again. The upper GI did show a paraesophageal hernia which is enlarging. Make sure that your boyfriend continues to see his doctor, especially if he has problems with reflux as it can cause a precancerous condition of the esophagus called "Barretts esophagus" from the continual acid in there. Good luck to him.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds to me he just needs to up his Reglan. Have him call the doctor to find out for sure. I'm up to 4 tabs a day of Reglan which probably needs to be upped more just can't take anymore side affects of the drug right now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds to me he just needs to up his Reglan. Have him call the doctor to find out for sure. I'm up to 4 tabs a day of Reglan which probably needs to be upped more just can't take anymore side affects of the drug right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.