Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
494 Posts
I have a hiatal hernia which was repaired laproscopically 7 years ago. Unfortunately it is acting up again. I have had horrible heartburn and acid reflux into my throat. It can cause coughing, burning of the esophagus and burning or pain under the breast bone. I have tried Aciphex, Pepcid, Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid with no relief. Right now I am taking Zantac twice a day with little relief. I had a 24 hour pH test done last week and haven't heard the results of it yet but I fully expect that I will need surgery again. The upper GI did show a paraesophageal hernia which is enlarging. Make sure that your boyfriend continues to see his doctor, especially if he has problems with reflux as it can cause a precancerous condition of the esophagus called "Barretts esophagus" from the continual acid in there. Good luck to him.

· Registered
494 Posts
I have a hiatal hernia which was repaired laproscopically 7 years ago. Unfortunately it is acting up again. I have had horrible heartburn and acid reflux into my throat. It can cause coughing, burning of the esophagus and burning or pain under the breast bone. I have tried Aciphex, Pepcid, Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid with no relief. Right now I am taking Zantac twice a day with little relief. I had a 24 hour pH test done last week and haven't heard the results of it yet but I fully expect that I will need surgery again. The upper GI did show a paraesophageal hernia which is enlarging. Make sure that your boyfriend continues to see his doctor, especially if he has problems with reflux as it can cause a precancerous condition of the esophagus called "Barretts esophagus" from the continual acid in there. Good luck to him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.