Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...haven't been on in a while...miss reading everything, been having a very rough time with some constipation! This is really odd for me too...since I've always had the diarrhea problems. I'm the one who had the really hyper-active intestines with the abdominal adhesions, following my laparoscopy. However, since the surgery, 9-8-99, I've had an extremely hard time having another BM. I've spoken with the doc several times and have tried, 2 Fleets Enemas, eating bulky foods, drinking lots of fluids, and currently I've been on Peri-Colace 3 times a day. Also for the past week I've been on an anti-biotic for a sinus and ear infection (now ya'd think the antibiotic would cause me to go...) and I've also had about 3 beers, which has always made me "go" in the past...no results!!!Does anyone have any other suggestions, advice about things to help make ya go? I'm eating regularly and my normal diet...drinking lots of fluids and still haven't had a substantial "go" since the beginning of Sept. not a good thing!!! Thanks guys!!! HAK : )

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sounds bad. I would suggest a good old black and white. Milk of magnesia, and egads what was the black..... I just CAN'T remember... ask your Doc about a black and white. Tastes HORRIBLE, or at least it smells bad, but generally works. Pretty harsh though, not something you want to take regularly. Have you tried fleets phospha-soda? (Well, it will work!)I have never in my whole life had the big C, but I am sure somebody will offer assistance.------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Finely ground flax meal works very well mixed in with hot cereal, applesauce, or yogurt. Follow this with a hot cup of herbal tea and drink plenty of H2O (filtered is best) throughout the day. This has worked better than any over the counter product for me(using about the same amount and is cheaper). You can find it a healthfood store(usually refrigerated), or I've found it in the health-food isle of the grocery store. Bob's Red Mill out of Milwaukee, Oregan sells it in a clear plastic bag along with their other whole grain flours and cereals they package; and Natural Oven's of Manitowac, WI makes a drink mixture out of it that comes in a box. Otherwise, hot oat bran and some heart-healthy oil might work as well as staying away from white flour, sugars, and cheese.oops, works so nice, I said it twice. Sorry.I just went back an deleted the other duplicate. Nice feature!------------------[This message has been edited by moldie (edited 10-03-1999).][This message has been edited by moldie (edited 10-03-1999).][This message has been edited by moldie (edited 10-03-1999).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...sounds like they may help...will probably be giving something a try on Monday. (my day off!) I have not tried the Fleets Phospho-Soda, yet : (My fiance wants me to take it...I used it for the colonoscopy and know it cleans you right out! Also know I threw up horribly after it, and I'm not looking forward to that again!So, I thought I'd ask you guys your opinions and maybe find something that would work just as good, but not be as bad!!!Thanks for the responses...I'll keep you updated! Love yas...HAK : )

G

·
Hak,I've used an OTC med called "Equalactin" that equalizes the water in the bowel, so is good for D or C.I understand it is a fiber. It worked for me.Hope you get relief soon. Have a good night (what's left of it).Love,Bettie------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi,I'm a "c" type and usually keep things "moving" by using Perdiem fiber, lots of water and mild exercise. But if I really get bound up, I drink a half bottle of Citrate of Magnesium (found in any drugstore) followed by lots of water. This is NOT something to use on a regular basis, but it should get things moving. Ask your doctor first, though. good luck.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose

G

·
Are you a regular coffee drinker? Because if you're not (like myself) I find that a large Tim Hortons coffee makes me go within an hour and it's usually not D, and I usually feel so good and empty after.

G

·
I'm a C and have been using the magnesium pills for about a week. I take a half in the a.m. and the other half p.m. and it is working nicely--nothing harsh about this.

G

·
At bedtime and in the morning do the following...In an 8 oz glass of juice put,2 heaping tablespoons of psyllium husks1 tablespoon of bentonite2 tsp of caprylic acid(all sold at health food stores)stir and drink. I also take acidopholis (sp) to help keep me regular.good luck.

G

·
This seems to work for both C and D:KONSYL, 100% psyllium seed, softens the stool when C and forms a stool when you have D. This KONSYL brand psyllium has no fillers like Metamucil and others, so I only take 1 tsp. of it, combine it with 1/2 cup of fruit juice in a shaker jar and drink.Then follow it with a chaser of more fruit juice to wash it all down. It certainly helps - you can experiment with more dosage as you go.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Like you, I was "D" for years, but for the last six months or so have swung to "C". I very slowly added citrucel, another one of the fiber therapies, except this one is methylcellulose- it's essentially a plant fiber with a methyl group on the molecule. The trick I found was to add it to my diet VERY slowly- 1/4 teasp. per day for a week, then 1/2 teasp., and I've stopped at 1 tsp. per day (far below the dose described on the jar) which helps a lot. The trick is to be patient, because it doesn't all go away overnight. I think my "swing" is due to my cutting out caffeine to minimize the "D". Can't win!kate

G

·
I am c alot so I take magnesium suppliments. That is magnesium oxide. It is like a miricle for me and everyone I know that takes it. Just make sure it has no calcium carbonate in it.

G

·
HAK, I am the same way but, more runny than not. I hate is when I do not hit the bathroom in like 3 or 4 days. I get nauseated and real full feeling. Sp you are not the only one. Runny Girl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts