Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to the BB and am delighted to find people who can understand what I go through. I have had IBS for 30+ years. Until about 3 years ago I had never had a test that showed no other problem but Drs basically said "you don't look sick", "if it hasn't killed you yet then it's just IBS - learn to live with it!" As you all know, easier said than done!! About 3 years ago things changed somewhat. Along with the D that I had always had I started having severe headaches everytime I had a flair up. Sometimes the headache would start first followed shortly by D, sometime the D was first and then the headache, but always now have both! I've had Drs tell me the two can't be related and that I should have a brain scan - had one - perfectly normal. "Finally" found a doctor would do some tests and had a colonoscopy (sp). He said he found "something" and did a biopsy but was sure it was nothing. 2 days later he called an told me I had a carcinoid tumor and need surgery immediately! Scared the hell out of me. Since he also told me he had to look it up to know what it was I decided not to let him do surgery and went to a major cancer center. They also advised surgery to remove it and I had a colon resection during which they removed the valve at the junction of the large and small intestine. I hoped, oh how I hoped, that that would solve my problem - no such luck. Even after recovering from the surgery I have the same symptoms, only much more severe. I am now taking Questran Light and Lomotil and have felt much better for the last year - first time in my adult life I somethimes have had near normal BMs. I do occassionally still have flair up though and still always have the headaches along with the D. Just wondered if anyone else experiences this?And, please if you've just been told you have IBS and haven't had any tests - insist on them! There could be other things going on too and you just never know. I am so sorry to hear that so many of you have gone through the same thing I have - I have often felt I was the only one and that life just wasn't worth living that way. I personally think that every GI should have to experience what we go through for a week - that would be long enough to convince them it's not all in our heads and that it's not something you can "just live with".Thanks for letting me vent!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
kallie,Welcome to the board.You are right, everyone should have the tests. Thank goodness, I don't have the headaches...Hope you're well tonight....------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get headaches whenever I have D, too. Last week, I had a headache almost every morning. My pcp gave me samples of a headache medicine that won't upset my stomach: it's called Celebrex. It seems like my headaches comes right after I go to the bathroom, and I also feel like I have to eat something right away. I hope you'll feel better soon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladybug, I'll ask my doc about the Celebrex. It's good to know I'm not the only one with the headaches - I haven't seen them listed in the other posts so was begining to wonder. Hope you are well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kallie, you have my sympathy -- for what you've been through with your colon and doctors as well as for your headaches. I've been a big heachache sufferer for most of my life (til I discovered some triggers and now only get mild headaches sometimes). however, I've never had them so directly associated with D. very interesting. sure does seem like there could be a connection. maybe you have some sort of imbalance that causes both the headaches and D??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kallie,Are you properly hydrated? The big D all the time can really dehydrate a person, and dehydration causes headaches. Make sure you are drinking lots of water. I would recommend bottled water, since tap water is a bigger mystery as to what is in it. Your urine should pass clear at least once a day to be properly hydrated.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
kallie,Yes I get IBS headaches, but when my C gets to bad. I also get sinus/migraines that come from air borne thingies, foods, stress, and I believe to much puter. Am not giving the last one up.My Doctors will not send me to a gastro since I do not have all the things most of you have. Mine is the big bad odorous G thing
. I tried going to a Gastro on my own but they said I needed to have my GP send me there.I did lie
and got them to do the barium tests on me (two different times) 20 years ago but nothing showedup. I have had this 40 years.
It don't change much. Sure spent a wad trying to get rid of it tho.
------------------Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your kind words!JanetMDI've wondered about an imbalance but have never found a doctor willing to discuss it with me. I wonder how one is tested for that.Race,I do drink lots of bottled water, usually about a gallon a day! The few times I've tried to drink tap water have been disasterous! I even cook with the bottled water and make ice cubes with it! Joycein,Know what you mean about spending tons to get rid of it!! Get so tired of doctors who won't help that I swear I'll never go to one again, but then alas it gets really bad and I give in and try again. Keep thinking one of these days I'm bound to find one who will really listen! But then I still believe in Santa Claus too! LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.