Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have low blood sugar and have not been bothered with it in a while but Im up right now with my sugar dropping and Im eating a peanutbutter sandwich. I was freaking out.It's been along time since ive had one and it scared me but I didnt eat right yesterday. I hate this.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi allinknots. I have hypoglycemia and only recently got it under control. I also have IBS D predominant and M.E/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I got the hypoglycemia under control by not eating any refined carbohydrates during the day (no white flour products, white rice or sugar of any kind, including fruit sugar). The book I got on hypoglycemia that recommended this 'diet' says not to eat any refined carbohydrates at all, but I cheat and eat them after my evening meal. I still need to eat regularly but the drops in blood sugar aren't as bad and I can go a bit longer without food. I have to eat before and after exercise too. Previously (on my doctor's advice) I was eating pasta, bannanas and taking dextrose (glucose) all the time which I now realise was contributing to my problems. I know it's a bit freaky when you get a blood sugar dip. Just try and eat 'right' (whatever that is for you) everyday if it keeps you on an even keel. Best wishes

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi allinknots. I have hypoglycemia and only recently got it under control. I also have IBS D predominant and M.E/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I got the hypoglycemia under control by not eating any refined carbohydrates during the day (no white flour products, white rice or sugar of any kind, including fruit sugar). The book I got on hypoglycemia that recommended this 'diet' says not to eat any refined carbohydrates at all, but I cheat and eat them after my evening meal. I still need to eat regularly but the drops in blood sugar aren't as bad and I can go a bit longer without food. I have to eat before and after exercise too. Previously (on my doctor's advice) I was eating pasta, bannanas and taking dextrose (glucose) all the time which I now realise was contributing to my problems. I know it's a bit freaky when you get a blood sugar dip. Just try and eat 'right' (whatever that is for you) everyday if it keeps you on an even keel. Best wishes

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have REALLY low blood sugar. When I go to the gym & I almost pass out everytime. I have to bring a bottle of lemonade with me. Low blood sugar sucks, but just try to eat in the morning (important) & drink natural sugars when exerting yourself or when you are in the heat.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have REALLY low blood sugar. When I go to the gym & I almost pass out everytime. I have to bring a bottle of lemonade with me. Low blood sugar sucks, but just try to eat in the morning (important) & drink natural sugars when exerting yourself or when you are in the heat.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I have REALLY low blood sugar
How do you know your blood sugar is low to begin with?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I have REALLY low blood sugar
How do you know your blood sugar is low to begin with?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have problems sometimes with low blood sugar. When it drops too low, I get migraines. I'm not hypoglycemic according to the tests, but I have worked with a nutritionist on this and IBS. She was marginally helpful on the IBS but helpful with the other - and gee, it's not normal to see spots when you get hungry. I try to avoid the nasty cycle of not eating to avoid IBS D but then getting a migraine because I haven't eaten.I think the best advice is what you got above. Make sure to eat regular meals. And when I feel that shaky feeling coming on, I drink a glass of milk - first the carbs help and then the protein kicks in. It's strange thing for me to crave, given that I'm lactose intolerant too, but that's why i keep Lactaid around.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have problems sometimes with low blood sugar. When it drops too low, I get migraines. I'm not hypoglycemic according to the tests, but I have worked with a nutritionist on this and IBS. She was marginally helpful on the IBS but helpful with the other - and gee, it's not normal to see spots when you get hungry. I try to avoid the nasty cycle of not eating to avoid IBS D but then getting a migraine because I haven't eaten.I think the best advice is what you got above. Make sure to eat regular meals. And when I feel that shaky feeling coming on, I drink a glass of milk - first the carbs help and then the protein kicks in. It's strange thing for me to crave, given that I'm lactose intolerant too, but that's why i keep Lactaid around.nancy

·
Registered
86 Posts
I, too, have low blood sugar. Diagnosed as hypoglaucemic.(sp?) For awhile, dr's wouldn't test for it, saying it was just my bp dropping low. I bought a glucose monitor and tested myself for awhile. Finally went to a Endocrine dr. at Vanderbilt, and she confirmed it by doing blood work. Sometimes it gets really low, and I get weak. When it drops, my bp drops as well. I'll get a migraine, and super dizzy. I make sure I don't eat 'refined' sugar when I feel bad. I remember I used to wake up at odd times just CRAVING sugar. (worst thing you can do)I keep glucose tablets in my purse. (they are very cheap at the drugstore) I check my sugar probably once every couple of days, just to keep an eye on it. My doctor likes to keep track of it too. I keep a journal of IBS, Low BP, glucose levels and diet. (migraines and Rheumatoid arth. pain goes in there too) Fruit is good to snack on, peanut butter, those 'fruit juice ice pops' are good. Just something that's not a 'snickers' bar!! LOL!!That will send you in a huge low. Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I, too, have low blood sugar. Diagnosed as hypoglaucemic.(sp?) For awhile, dr's wouldn't test for it, saying it was just my bp dropping low. I bought a glucose monitor and tested myself for awhile. Finally went to a Endocrine dr. at Vanderbilt, and she confirmed it by doing blood work. Sometimes it gets really low, and I get weak. When it drops, my bp drops as well. I'll get a migraine, and super dizzy. I make sure I don't eat 'refined' sugar when I feel bad. I remember I used to wake up at odd times just CRAVING sugar. (worst thing you can do)I keep glucose tablets in my purse. (they are very cheap at the drugstore) I check my sugar probably once every couple of days, just to keep an eye on it. My doctor likes to keep track of it too. I keep a journal of IBS, Low BP, glucose levels and diet. (migraines and Rheumatoid arth. pain goes in there too) Fruit is good to snack on, peanut butter, those 'fruit juice ice pops' are good. Just something that's not a 'snickers' bar!! LOL!!That will send you in a huge low. Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well count me in too for having low blood sugar, hypoglycemic. When I was pregnant with my son and I had to take the gloutose test for pregnancy diabetes (you have to drink this nasty orange sugar drink) and when the results came back my doctor said he had never seen numbers so low, even with drinking that high sugar drink because you have to fast before the test so that was all that was in my system. I don't really do to much to control it just eat small meals every couple hours. I keep these citrus chews with me in case I'm out and feel my sugar dropping at least I can pop one in my mouth till I can eat something. At least being hypoglycemic is easy compared to some of the other health complaints I have.Erin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well count me in too for having low blood sugar, hypoglycemic. When I was pregnant with my son and I had to take the gloutose test for pregnancy diabetes (you have to drink this nasty orange sugar drink) and when the results came back my doctor said he had never seen numbers so low, even with drinking that high sugar drink because you have to fast before the test so that was all that was in my system. I don't really do to much to control it just eat small meals every couple hours. I keep these citrus chews with me in case I'm out and feel my sugar dropping at least I can pop one in my mouth till I can eat something. At least being hypoglycemic is easy compared to some of the other health complaints I have.Erin

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have IBS D, low blood sugar and failed my glucose test too (I am 31 weeks pregnant). Invest in a glucose monotr or borrow one. It is worth. What I have found out is that first thing in the AM by BS is low and no matter what I eat fro breakfast it shoots up (usually not above normal range) and then it drops rapidly again. Then for the rest of the day it is pretty even keel - so max out on portein in the AM and when it drops or before it drops I eat more protein rhater than anything sugary - it just keeps the spikes and dips coming.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have IBS D, low blood sugar and failed my glucose test too (I am 31 weeks pregnant). Invest in a glucose monotr or borrow one. It is worth. What I have found out is that first thing in the AM by BS is low and no matter what I eat fro breakfast it shoots up (usually not above normal range) and then it drops rapidly again. Then for the rest of the day it is pretty even keel - so max out on portein in the AM and when it drops or before it drops I eat more protein rhater than anything sugary - it just keeps the spikes and dips coming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.