Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, I have a quick question. For the last 3 years I have suspected that I have a mild form of IBS. My major symptom is that when I am in class, and it is very quiet, and as long as i'm sitting, I feel abdominal pressure and it releases at irregular times. For example, I will be sitting for about 5 mins, then I feel the pressure, sometimes the pressure holds for over a min, other times it just releases. It rattles my stomach and is usually pretty loud (like stomach growling) It's so annoying, I find myself trying to get into class early so I can turn on the heater or AC, in order to lessen the noise, or sometimes, when it's loud in the class room, I don't have any problems. This had bad over the last couple of years. It started out maybe one class a week, now it's just about every class. I'm just afraid to go to the DR because there is probably not much he can do. Thanks,Steve

·
Registered
659 Posts
Steve, My stomach rumbles constantly, especially when things are quiet. I dread going to the dentist because it seems to get worse. Check out some of the other thread on noisy guts. There's lots and most say it's gas. I think nerves seem to make it worse and a quiet environment seem to make me more nervous. By the way, I take it you are a Formula 1 fan. So am I. I've been following the sport for over 20 years. I haven't missed the Canadian GP for the last ten years. Montreal is wonderful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's so cool/amazing how you've been following F1 for around 20 years (I'm 21), That's about how long I've been on this earth. You described me exactly, as soon as it get quiet, I get nervous and then it starts. The only thing that usually svaes me is either noise or standing up. It only seems to happen when I sit. Thanks for the help, all check out the other posts. Who's you favorite team and driver?Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey hunwow. what you described is exactly how i am. i just started on an antidepresant and its relieved some anxiety but im still having the problem. I cant! be in silent places... the quiet drives me crazy u know?.. it sucks when i want to have a relationship and i get nervous... i wish there was something we could do... and dont worry i do the same thing with the heater/ac~good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Steve! I recently posted a question like this on the young adults forum and I know exactly what you mean. It's so weird because I'll sit in the noisy common room on my hour break and be fine, but as soon as I go into class and there's no noise, it starts. I don't know if it's gas or what, but I've been experimenting with different foods and haven't seen any results yet. The worst thing is that you can't control it at all. I was just put on Dicetel (I don't think it's available in the States) but it's not doing anything for me. I was thinking about talking to the doctor next week about anxiety because it's like as soon as I start thinking about it, it starts doing it. Sometimes I leave class one or two times because I'm so embarassed. Talk about a bad way to meet new people! On the other forum, someone recommended eating peppermints with real peppermint oil in them. I'm off to buy some tomorrow because I have a midterm on Friday. Anxiety about the test AND about my stomach!!! Good luck to you, let us know if it gets better!Jen

·
Registered
659 Posts
Steve, O.T. I know. Unfortunately my favorite driver is no longer with us...Ayrton Senna. Since most of his success was with McLaren I continue to support their drivers especially Hakkinen and now Kimi. I'm really disappointed with the sport right now. It's been sooo boring for the last 4 or 5 years. Get a season review tape or dvd of the '88 season and see F1 the way it should be. Back to the topic...I have tried Peppermint and I may help alittle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool I like McLaren too, for some reason I just can't root for Ferrari, or BMW. My second team is BAR, they have come a long way this season. anyway, I too have experimanted with different foods, and just when I think I may have solved it (I go a couple of days with no probelems) it comes back. When I feel the pressure I also try to not think about it, or think of about something else, but it never works. You are right, you just can't control it. What's this peppermint thing? is it a pill, or candy, or what? I'm desparate to try anything. Good luck with you test JLO.Thanks,Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
Steve -Some of us just use plain old "original" Altoids. Or peppermint tea. Altoids being lots more portable. There are some peppermint "pills" that you can get - but I don't know anything about them - but I am sure someone else on this board will post the info.Peg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Steve,Does your problem manifest itself on one side? I always get it on the left side of my abdomin. It feels like that side is in a knot and moving around. Like I said, it must be gas. I've tried some of the over-the counter anti-gas and I would say don't bother. By the way, I'm glad to hear you aren't another Ferrari fan. They remind me of Yankee fans. I must say I kind of like Williams since I drive a BMW, but mostly because I'm partial to British teams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG, yes, I only get it on my left side; and yes, it feels like a knot, but it feels like different size knots, some are small, but some feel HUGE. I can't imagine it being anything else but gas. I don't understand where it goes though,it's almost like there's a opening where the gas escapes into my body. The weird part is that when I stand up, the symptoms go away. I don't even sit down in my lab classes anymore because of it. BTW, you are right, Ferarri are the Yankees of F1, How can they dominate just about every race like that? Is it just awesome development or just awesome drivers?Steve

G

·
Right - I'm going to try and be dead clever - I think that you are getting the pain round your splenic flexure if the pain is in your left upper abdomen (under your boob - ooops I think you maybe a bloke but you know what I mean!!). I get quite an intense pain there followed by hideous wind/rumbling for about 2/3 days afterwards. THOUGH..... this has not happened since I've been taking a probiotic summat called acidophilus. So, that maybe helpful if this is your probbo too.All the best anyway. The only sport worth following is Liverpool FC (footie).Sue, from rainy Manchester

·
Registered
659 Posts
suev,What I have is not what I would call a pain, just like tightness. Also, mine is in the lower part of the abdomen. Steve, OT again, I have to give Ferrari and Michael credit, but by the same token they are ruining the sport for me. While there never has been tons of passing in F1 it is almost gone now. The passing by pit-stop strategy drives me nuts. I want more on track action. Ban re-fuelling! They only brought it back in '94 and that's about when racing got dull.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I don't have pain, it's more like a "knot" or build up of pressure. Once in a long while I'll feel a HUGE build up and when it releases it is actuall vibrates stomach. The location is just above the first belt loop on the left side.Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help guys! I have exactly the same symptoms as F1 Fan. F1 Fan it is great to know somebody else has this problem just like me. I had to drop out of college because of this problem and it is standing in the way of my dream to graduate one day. It started to happens to me in the end of 2000, when I was finishing my first semester. The climax was a Calculus 1 test, I got a lot of pain and the rumbling noise (borborigmy) was horribly loud. I could not focuse on the test and I was sweating because it was so embarassing. It seems to be the worst under stress, but particularly in social environmnents, mostly college or meeting the girlfriend's parents. I really want to finish college. Standing up seems to help, so I am thinking if maybe I could talk to the administration and ask for permission to stand up during class, but this would be embarassing too. Today I had terrible pain, when I took my girlfriend to my home to meet my family. I have tried Dicetel, and now Digesdrat (available in Brazil and Mexico). None of those help. I have many great things in live, but these symptomes are in the way to a better living. If anyone could help, I would be extremely thankful. JON

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know how you feel Jon. The symptoms has gotten worse as college goes on. It wasn't so bad my freshman year, or I probably would have left school. It have gotten really towards the end of last semester and is not getting any better this semester. My advise would be to get back in school, advise your teachers of your problem, and just forget what everyone else thinks. I stand whenever I can, one class I started standing, and have not had any problems. At first I felt a little strange, but now I know that it doesn't matter what they think, I won't see them probably ever again, so just forget them and what they think. It's easier said than done, but I think it helps. Hope that helps, good luck with everything, keep us posted.Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
F1 Fan, If you go to Whole Foods Market and speak to someone in their supplement section, they will steer you towards these peppermint pills that don't break down until they get to the intestines, this way, the peppermint won't irritate your stomach and give you heartburn. Plus, I know the pressure you feel, but I feel like it stopped when I went back to college. I guess I feel more relaxed now that I am back to school and have a future ahead of me again. Hope the peppermint tip helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts