Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if there are any people out there who have symphtoms like me. I don't have really D or C (maybe one soft bm every 2 weeks. I go anywhere between 1 - 5 times to the bathroom. I usaully have abdominal discomfort, gas pain,lot's of flatuance and lately also bloating. The more Bm's I have the more pain I have. Even a normal looking bm is irritating my colon. When my stool is hard (coming out like big or small pellets) I (strangly)have less pain. On my good days I usually "just" have abdominal discomfort mostly on the left side. One year ago it was very bad. I had more pain, even more bm's, no appetite, sometimes nausea, when I ate something I had abdominal pain and usully had to lay down after eating. Luckely this improved. I am taking Desipramine and Celexa and I am not sure if that's the reason why it improved because I hear that sometimes IBS just improves on it's own. I wonder sometimes ?I am still in discomfort and I am curious if anybody has my CURRENT symphtoms ? Anybody out her who has neither D or C ?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS does NOT require full blown C or watery D.Just that pain or discomfort tends to increase when there is a change in stool consistancy or frequency.If your stools are totally normal all the time and you have a lot of pain or discomfort that can STILL be a functional GI disease. Chronic functional abdominal pain is the name and it is basically all the pain and discomfort of IBS but normal bowel habit.That it got better when you take drugs that make functional bowel disorders (These drugs are used for BOTH IBS and CFAP) stongly suggests you have a functional bowel disorder.Also these are not symptoms that indicate a non-functional GI disorder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was very depressed with my IBS even to the point that I wanted to just be dead. They put me on Desipramen(50mg) for the pain but it didn't seem to help much. Since 5 months I am on Celexa (60mg) the highest doses possible. It did lift my depression and maybe that's why I don't feel the pain so much anymore. Maybe it's even the same pain but doesn't appear as bad as before ??? The Desipramen is also getting higher from the Celexa and maybe that helped a bit. I am just confused !One week ago I had a very bad IBS day (more pain, incomplete bm's, gas and abdominal pain) just like in the old days. I also felt very depressed. Luckely it improved again even though I am still in discomfort. When I have the occasional very bad ibs day I am wondering if the drugs really help ? Sometimes I get confused if it helps or IBS just gives me a break ?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Sometimes the meds can help and sometimes you might just have a flare no matter what.The depression can make pain worse for sure.You also might want to look into the CBT or HT for IBS, that could help you out, especially with the pain, but also with your thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello hassenfuss, I havn't posted for a while but i still read the posts on this site.I wanted to post today after reading your post, i to dont have c or d but i do get the pains you are discribing i dont go to the bathroom as often as you do but some days i go two or three times. i have pain on the left hand side in the groin area and under the rib cage on the left side i also get bloated and gas pain and flatuance when my bms are small and not much there the pain is worse, if my bms are normal or near normal i still get dicomfort but not as bad.I have had these symptoms for eighteen months and they have progressively got worse i went back to my doctor today and he is sending me for some tests at last. After having these symptms for eighteen months i dont think it is anything serious as it would have developed more severe symptoms by now I hope you are feeling better soon i know this complaint can can make you really miserable and depressed.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Even when you find a treatment that works reasonably well and pretty consistently you have to expect occasional symptom breakthrough.That this happens doesn't mean the drugs never did anything for you ever at anytime or that they will never work again for the rest of your life.If it makes things better most of the time that is a good thing. Some people can't find any medications that do that for them.The depression isn't helping. A lot of the maybe nothing helped, etc is the depression talking and trying to maintain itself.K.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kathleen,In your opinion, should I try another antidepressent ? This evening I have again bad discomfort (bloated hard belly and pain) eventhough I had two normal bm's today. I am not depressed to the point I want to die anymore but it's hard to be happy with pain. I guess because I have always some O.K but not perfect days in between I don't fall into extrem depression like before. I don't know, should I anyway try a different antidepressent ? In case I find out that Celexa was the best for me after all, will it help me again ? I read somewhere that when you try the same antdepressent again it might not help anymore. I am not sure if that's true or not because somebody from another forum wrote that. What do you think ?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If the celexa is working pretty good most of the time I'd probably stick with that.An antispasmodic like Levsin Sublingual (or the newer version Nulev) might be something that helps when the pain breaks through. Or Peppermint Altoids can help some people as well. You can buy more expensive peppermint preparations, but I like the Altoids as I can get them just about any store that sells gum and mints.I've not had problems with antidepressants for pain not working if I am off them for awhile then go back on (I do that more for migraines as the IBS is under pretty good control, my allergy shots can trigger the migraines for awhile so I tend to be on them for awhile then go off them when I don't need them). I do not know about how they may work for depression.Although if you aren't doing as well as you would like with the depression or pain control it is worth discussing this with the doctor to see what they think. You may need to add some therapy on top of the drugs. Many people need both to get good results. The drugs get you better enough that the therapy will work, and the therapy helps with what the drug isn't controlling.I know it doesn't seem that it is possible but a lot of people lead happy and fulfilling lives even when they have a disease or injury that causes chronic pain. Sometimes it is just making the choice over and over that you aren't going to let the pain win. Finding something you enjoy enough that the pain doesn't matter as much also can be helpful. Both of those are hard to do when you are depressed. Depression really makes coping with hardship a lot harder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was e-mailing my GI doctor and this is what he wrote :"There are lot's of medications but I believe you have tried many of them. Bentyl, levsin, hyocosamine all do the same thing. Belladonna is another. Finally Elavil or any medicine in that group such as Desipramene can also be used (you have already been on Desipramene)The problem is that none of these meds are very effective and often the potential side effects are worse than the limited benefits.I tend not to recommend them too much because of this."I did try Belladonna and Bentyl and I am also still on Desipramen. Belladonna and Bentyl didn't help me. With the Desiprame. I can't even tell if it's helping or not. Is the doctor right that I shouln't try the other medications that he mentioned (levsin, hyocosamene, Elavil)????I always thought IBSers need to try many different medication to find an effective one. Is levsin and hyocosamin really not worth it trying since my doctor thinks it'sall the same ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hasenfuss:Back to Eric's comment -- have you tried any other non-medicinal treatments?Although I have used bentyl as needed over the past year, I have done everything possible to avoid other medications.I know that your situation may be completely different from mine, though I do strongly feel that other types of therapy could provide you with great benefit.Have you tried to read up on the concept of pain, and its connection to your possible depression? Although challenging and a lot of work, there are lots of techniques out there to help you get a hold on your depression and subsequently your pain.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Medication are usally not the only answer to IBS so far, because most meds are just helping an aspect of IBS. A intergrated approach when its severe, meds, therapy of some sort, CBT, HT, etc. and diet may all be needed to really work. Education is a very big part in it all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I guess I can say that I have neither D or C, but I know I still have IBS. I had just C for the longest time, then developed diverticulitis - which gaave me the most awful pain in the left side. Since then I have tried eating more fiber & raw veggies - more pain, gas and bloating. I have learned since then to eat only cooked veggies, and have been using Benefiber with oat bran in the morning. Then tried adding a tablespoon of olive oil in the evening, along with a stool softener. All was going well, having 2 or 3 normal bowel movements a day, but still after 3 or 4 weeks I will have a day of almost constant bowel movements. Hate to be gross, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it all is coming from! It is soft, but not D, just endless cramping and spasms until all is emptied out. By this time am having awful aches & pains in bowels and hemorroids. This past week have had two bouts of emptying out and am afraid to eat anything. Does anyone know what might be safe to eat, or how to even start eating again after a flare-up? I used to start with oatmeal, but the last time I tried it, I just got bloated and sore. Am ready to give up eating entirely - at least I wish I could.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.