Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS since I can remember and being 22 now its like a day to day struggle. I'm just so tired of everyday worrying about my bowels and every little pain I get is going to turn into a full fledge IBS attack. I hate the fact that I have to take an Immodium to be able to feel "safe" enough to eat out and have a normal life. I hate the anxiety attacks I get b/c of it. I really envy those that can eat normally and not worry about if they are going to have an accident. Its so frustrating and I know everyone can relate. I just need to vent b/c if I don't i'll go nuts! I'm at the point now where I'm just so fed up. I hate revolving my life around my stomach!!!!!!!
I wish I could get a new one! Well I guess my question here is how does everyone deal?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi...sorry you are having such a rough time.The way I deal with things...hrmm...I've really tried to learn to take each minute as it comes. To try not to "borrow" trouble and focus on the things in life I DO have control over. I've learned to appreciate the positive things in life more than I would have if I did not have IBS. LOL Not many people outside of this BB who think it is a "good" day without having one episode of D!
To me it is all about attitude. Sure...I've lost friends over my IBS and likely scared some guys off. The friends I have now I say are ones I KNOW will stand by me. My IBS is affected a lot by stress, so like I say, attitude is SO important to me. My sense of humour is better now, b.c it was laugh or cry. For me; I'd rather laugh and smile through life than cry and wonder.That's how I get through life anyways. (I'm only 29 btw)

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
TAM:I understand how you feel...I went through 30 years of hell beofre I was able to find someone who could help me get control over the condition and give me control of my life back. Talk to people every day of my life going through the same. If misery indeed loves company, we got a convention goin' on.
While each person can provide info on "coping", and some very special therapists can help with coping skills, and stress and anxiety reduction methods are also of help, the toughest thing to accept is that you do not have to accept this....this is not destined to be your fate for life. Keeping that paradigm is perhaps the hardest thing you will face, but it will get you to a se;f-fulfillinf prophecy if you do!However, the path is not always easy. You need some help mapping a solution, and when you have that map and start to see progress, this seems to be the best coping mechanism of all. The trick is to not surrender, no matter what has failed you before.There are doctors and other healthcare workers of many types who do have methods that work.This is a book on IBS assessment and treatment for the patient, which is fairly balanced. Some are not balanced so the outcomes are less predicatable.IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 You may also want to talk with some of the ladies and gentlemen on the specialty Boards as well, most of whom were where you are and have found ways of moving beyond that "loss of control" over their lives and regained it, through some very basic and logical methods...DIET AND NUTRITION BULLETIN BOARD http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...=4&DaysPrune=30 I guess as a lfelong healthcare worker it is my nature to try to go beyond the venting phase with someone and try to nudge them a bit towards solutions. That was the whole reason for getting into healthcare in the first place I guess.
By all means vent, and comiserate, as that is an essential coping strategy. But don't ever feel that is all you have to work with, as there ARE "happy endings" for IBS victims...you will find them alla round you here in this community when you look.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My step-granddaughter, who was 12 years old when I met her (my fiance's step-grandchild from his second marriage) gave me a new perspective on my IBS. She has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair. She needs 24/7 care and has no control over her bodily functions. She can't even feed herself. She's bright as can be, however, so it must be particularly difficult as she is so aware. Her family was on welfare and she had to suffer through so many difficulties with aides who didn't show up or who were mean to her. Housing that wouldn't accept her. Schools that wouldn't accomodate her needs. Etc. Everything was a battle. I was her advocate, so I spent countless hours trying to overcome all these obstacles and help her deal with so many disappointments and hurts along the way. She remained relently optimistic and always looked at the glass half full. No matter what I've gone through with the IBS (and I've been through a lot), I think back on what she went through and there is no comparison. Having that very strong and real point of reference has helped me put my problems with IBS in perspective. At least I don't have to lie in bed until someone comes to help me or sit in dirty diapers until someone can change them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
oooooooh dear god can i relate!!!! i'm 14, yes only 14 and i've had ibs for about 3 or 4 years now......i'm at the point where now i just give up somedays and sit there and cry because of how frustrated i get. it is so unfair that some people are normal yet somehow i doubt they realize just how lucky they are. thats all i ask...i'd never want anything else, if i could just have my life back and for some people they don't even have to have a second thought about their everday routine!!!!!!! i'm outcasted from my family because of my lack of willingness to go out...period! nothing seems to be working for me, i get sick no matter what i eat and the ONLY possible way i can go out is by taking 2-3 immodium. i'm deathly afraid it'll stop working soon but for now i don't know what else i can do...i'm just as trapped as you are!!!
-claire

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have dealt with this for only one year tam, and i am also 22 years old. I am very tired of this and i pray that all of us can help each other find a cure !! You guys and gals are a great help !! Thanks !

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having such trouble with your IBS, I can sure relate. I'm 48 and have had it for 20 plus years BUT it isnt ALWAYS awful, I have had many "good years" and "good days" and so will you. It can be very depressing and distressing in my opinion cause its a chronic thing, you are young and want to be able to do things NOW and I know how you feel. If you live near a major teaching hospital and have acess from your insurance (managed care has NOT helped IBS people at all in my opinion)or if you can pay for it yourself call and see if they offer any help for IBS in their gastro dept, many places are opening up that do. There is help out there and HOPE for you too, its just terribly frustrating getting it. Also try Mikes tapes which you can find out about in the hypnotherapy section on the BB. I was extremely skeptical when I first did got them but there is a mind-body connection and though the tapes may not be a miracle cure, they are a very useful tool and can really help. Also you are not alone! Hope this helps

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have bad days and good days but I guess that's the way everything is. I just wish science could at least find a definate reason for our illness. But you gotta take other things into prospective even though there aren't any known cures, we could have it alot worse, we could have cancer or AIDS. I just find it amazing that science can find cures for certain cancers and other diseases and they can't really find any cures or fixes that would help IBS.....I guess there isn't enough word out about our problem even though it seems so many people have it

·
Registered
26 Posts
sorry to hear of another poor person who has this .but I found it really helps to know you are not alone.I have been taking 5 different types of medicines it still doesn't help. how do do at school? I know it is hard for me to go to work and I am 37 Ihopeyour family will start to understand soon having their support would help you alot.when we go any place we have to stop 5 or 6 times before we get there . A book called eating for ibs might help it is by Heather Von Voiosir try to get it your libary i hope you get better

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh hell yeah!! SICK OF IT!!!! Just got back from vacation yesterday. I felt like a freaking walking pharmacy!! Wouldn't leave the condo without my arsenal of drugs to treat every myriad of symptoms that might just "pop up"!! It sucks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi,-Sorry you're having to deal with this..mine started when I was 22. I pretty much used to eat anything, and everything, went to the bathroom fine, I can only remember having cramps once in thefirst 22 years. Having this now for 20 years, whats helped me most is reading everything I can onIBS, talking to others dealing with this, and finding out what helped them most. Several people I've spokenwith have gotten much better. Some haven't had any IBS symtoms in years!! Doing your own research, experimenting with supplements, and drawing your own conclusions. In the long run..you have to live with this 24 Hours a day & you know your BODY better than anyone!!! You may want to check out this book, called No More Heartburn by Dr. Sherry Rogers..she started off as a conventionalDr. but when her patients never got better she decided on a new course. Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Compared to all of you, I'm an IBS newbie. Only 18 months for me and I already want to shoot myself to end it. I can't tolerate anything but soy products, bland foods with no enhancements (spices, oils, butter. etc). So I live on water and the above. Every few days my body evacuates itself in the form of diarhea. I rarely have a formed stool. And now have the 2nd abdominal wall hernia to deal with on top of the fun. I don't know how you all deal with this without going completely insane. Some days I am so weak and dizzy it scares me. My Dr. is aware of this, did blood tests and told me my liver panel, etc. was fine. I just can't tolerate much food.So in short..yes, I'm sick and tired of the battle and I have a long life to go. I'm only 38.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Me too, me too, me too !!!!!!OMG! These past few days have been horrid. I had company come in from out of state. Within minutes of them getting here I spent an hour on the toilet! I couldn't help it. I had such a terrible attack I had to take a Tylenol with codeine. Finally I was able to be sociable last night for a while. Now today, right after we ate of course my family wanted to go for a walk. WHEN will they ever learn that people with IBS can not go for a walk right after they eat!???? They went without me... Now I just feel nauseous and bloated and wanted to lay down and moan! (Aren't I fun at parties?) Sometimes I think life would be a lot simpler if I just didn't have to eat to survive! I'm so sick of this "syndrome" controlling my life and sometimes my family!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too, unfortunately can relate to being sick of IBS. It does indeed get you down. I have had it for five years now. The only thing I can tell you is it seems to get easier to deal with over time. You learn things you can and cannot do or eat. You learn little tricks to make yourself feel better. The problem I find with IBS is that everyone's case is different and things that work for one person may not work for another. The worst thing I find about it for myself is I cannot do the things I used to be able to do before, because I just don't have the same amount of energy. Like that other person said though, you have to think of other people in other situations and realize that there [*]Sorry to hear you are so upset are others out there who are worse off.Keep a good attitiude and keep smiling!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just had to job on this one. I HATE THIS HORRID HORRID HORRID FREAKING THING!!!! Now I feel better. I have had it for a few years but it was very mild. Now in the last 6 mths it has become full blown hell on Earth. How do I take it everyday....somedays I vent, somedays I don't eat, but even more important I pray. Not like I should when it comes to this but I know others who are praying for me as well. I do know this thing is NOT going to beat me. I don't care what my body thinks....mind over matter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your mental attitude is the most important factor in fighting this wretched "syndrome." I can't say everyday is a good day. But I have them. And when I do I make the most of it! I will also say it has been a long journey of isolating foods, taking Rxs, finding natural remedies, and keeping my outlook in check. AND I still have bad days... Hang in there kiddo, I was in your shoes at 22. I am 28 now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.