Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Friends,

I've been eating a minimal diet just to see what foods trigger me. I normally get left upper side burning and bloating and cramping and spasms that last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months it seems.

I have been making my own almond milk for a couple months when I decided to buy some vanilla flavored almond milk for my grandkids who were visiting. I had some. Within 90 minutes I seemed to wanna explode and I have been sick ever since. That was on Monday. It's Thursday. The diarrhea last for a couple hours but the terrible fatigue and ensuing bloat and tummy and left gut pain are pretty bad. Gellan gum was the only ingredient (besides Locust Bean Gum) that I am certain caused this reaction. I'm wondering if anyone else with IBS knows they are a reaction to this "ingredient" - a fermented bacteria that is not digestible. WTH are they putting this in food for? That's the LAST time I'm buying that crap.

Ugh....

Thanks for letting me vent... this stuff can feel scary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Friends,

I've been eating a minimal diet just to see what foods trigger me. I normally get left upper side burning and bloating and cramping and spasms that last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months it seems.

I have been making my own almond milk for a couple months when I decided to buy some vanilla flavored almond milk for my grandkids who were visiting. I had some. Within 90 minutes I seemed to wanna explode and I have been sick ever since. That was on Monday. It's Thursday. The diarrhea last for a couple hours but the terrible fatigue and ensuing bloat and tummy and left gut pain are pretty bad. Gellan gum was the only ingredient (besides Locust Bean Gum) that I am certain caused this reaction. I'm wondering if anyone else with IBS knows they are a reaction to this "ingredient" - a fermented bacteria that is not digestible. WTH are they putting this in food for? That's the LAST time I'm buying that crap.

Ugh....

Thanks for letting me vent... this stuff can feel scary.
Hi Missi,
I was googling gellan gum and came across your post, completely randomly. I know you posted 7 years ago, but I felt obliged to reply because you are describing EXACTLY what happened to me. About two weeks ago, my wife purchased a new ”organic” vanilla coffee creamer from Costco. Usually we use half and half and agave syrup to sweeten/cream our coffee. So, without reading the label, I tried the new creamer in my coffee…which I have been drinking EVERY DAY for two weeks. Well, I had an episode of IBS so bad last week (bloating, pain, terrible constipation,) I missed a day of work and also went to the ER to make sure nothing was severely wrong with me (at the time I did not make the connection to the new creamer). So, I check out of the ER, they found nothing wrong with me. But I KNOW something is up. So I am thinking, and as I am pouring my coffee this morning, I read the label on the new creamer. Bam. Last ingredient? GELLAN GUM. I shout to my wife “the creamer! It’s the creamer!”. She quickly realizes it too, as I had an episode nearly identical to this years ago when I consumed quite a bit of carrageenan gum….also from a coffee creamer. So…apparently you and I are super sensitive to these gum additives they put in creamers. Needless to say, I also will not be using the new coffee creamer…back to half and half for me. Reply if you actually read this post! Thanks for posting the OP and know there are others like us out there! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Missi,
I was googling gellan gum and came across your post, completely randomly. I know you posted 7 years ago, but I felt obliged to reply because you are describing EXACTLY what happened to me. About two weeks ago, my wife purchased a new ”organic” vanilla coffee creamer from Costco. Usually we use half and half and agave syrup to sweeten/cream our coffee. So, without reading the label, I tried the new creamer in my coffee…which I have been drinking EVERY DAY for two weeks. Well, I had an episode of IBS so bad last week (bloating, pain, terrible constipation,) I missed a day of work and also went to the ER to make sure nothing was severely wrong with me (at the time I did not make the connection to the new creamer). So, I check out of the ER, they found nothing wrong with me. But I KNOW something is up. So I am thinking, and as I am pouring my coffee this morning, I read the label on the new creamer. Bam. Last ingredient? GELLAN GUM. I shout to my wife “the creamer! It’s the creamer!”. She quickly realizes it too, as I had an episode nearly identical to this years ago when I consumed quite a bit of carrageenan gum….also from a coffee creamer. So…apparently you and I are super sensitive to these gum additives they put in creamers. Needless to say, I also will not be using the new coffee creamer…back to half and half for me. Reply if you actually read this post! Thanks for posting the OP and know there are others like us out there! :)
Neo ~ HEY, thank you for replying! Wow! I'm so glad I logged back on to see your response! I actually posted the gellan gum post in June 2020 and you replied FEB 2022, just a few months ago, so I hope you see this!
I am currently in miserable left side pain and have been for several months... I know to stay away from those gums but I don't always and logging back on to see that at least one other person on the planet had the same reaction I did makes me even more determined to stay FAR AWAY from that stuff. I do still make my own almond milk, which is dreamy good. I have an almond creamer recipe too... the only ingredients are almonds and water. :). I hope you are doing well and haven't had any more flares. I'm happy that when you googled Gellan Gum my post surfaced! Every so often the internet is extremely helpful! lol. I'd love to hear how you're doing if you get a minute. Peace & Blessings ~ Missi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Neo ~ HEY, thank you for replying! Wow! I'm so glad I logged back on to see your response! I actually posted the gellan gum post in June 2020 and you replied FEB 2022, just a few months ago, so I hope you see this!
I am currently in miserable left side pain and have been for several months... I know to stay away from those gums but I don't always and logging back on to see that at least one other person on the planet had the same reaction I did makes me even more determined to stay FAR AWAY from that stuff. I do still make my own almond milk, which is dreamy good. I have an almond creamer recipe too... the only ingredients are almonds and water. :). I hope you are doing well and haven't had any more flares. I'm happy that when you googled Gellan Gum my post surfaced! Every so often the internet is extremely helpful! lol. I'd love to hear how you're doing if you get a minute. Peace & Blessings ~ Missi
And... apparently I need to sign in with my other account... this is the same Missi... I just realized I have 2 accounts?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts