Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GreetingsI'm a long time IBS C&D type. My case is fairly severe and I'm wondering if anyone has tried Probactrix? It seems to be available only in Israel, but I'd be on the next plane out if I heard enough positive feedback. That seems unlikely, given the location, but I'd be interested in any information on this concotion of beneficial e.coli bacteria. thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have also been trying to find out about where to get this in israel. my cousin lives there and she is not able to locate it. i contacted kibbutz lahav - where the piglet diahrea study was done and the replied that they have never heard of probactrix. please let me know if you have any success. thanks.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Our planned timetable calls for completing the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) review process for PROBACTRIXTM by Q1 '04, followed by the introduction of PROBACTRIXTM in late 2004. http://www.fdanews.com/dailies/dpa/1_103/news/14453-1.html PROBACTRIX TRIAL PROMISING FOR IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME In a study of BioBalance's Probactrix for irritable bowel syndrome, patients experienced significant improvement in symptoms. All 10 patients given Probactrix experienced improvement in symptoms of diarrhea and constipation. By comparison, eight of the 10 who received a placebo dropped out of the trial because of ineffectiveness. http://www.nyhc.com/pressrelease.asp?pid=42 Clinical Study Confirms PROBACTRIX(tm) Highly Promising for IBS Symptoms Randomized, Double Blind Study Finds BioBalance's Medical Food Relieves Major Symptoms in Both Men and Women, With No Side Effects Seen NEW YORK, June 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Patients with severe symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) experienced significant improvement of their complaints in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of (PROBACTRIX(tm)), a probiotic oral suspension from The BioBalance Corp, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Health Care, Inc. (Nasdaq: BBAL - News), the company reported today. PROBACTRIX(tm) is a patented and proprietary formulation of M-17 E. coli which is approved as an OTC pharmaceutical in Russia and as a food supplement in Israel. BioBalance intends to comply with United States Food and Drug Administration requirements for the eventual introduction of (tm) to the United States market as a medical food. The randomized, double blinded study involved 20 IBS patients (N=20, mean age, 46 years), experiencing severe symptoms of diarrhea and constipation with a mean duration of eight years. All patients in the study validated medical criteria (ROME II) for IBS, and had had both general medical and gastrointestinal evaluation including negative colonoscopy within past 5 years. The group included both men and women. Patients received either placebo or PROBACTRIX(tm) for a month and then crossed over. Drs. Elisa Tiomny, Revital Kariv, Zamir Halpern, at the Department of Gastroenterology, Tel-Aviv Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, conducted the study. Study Results Eight of 10 patients that started on placebo dropped out because of infectivity, as opposed to 10 patients who started on PROBACTRIX(tm) and all completed the study. In the treatment arm there was significant improvement in bowel movement (p-less 0.01) and mucus in stools (p-less 0.051) and borderline improvement in effort during evacuation (p--0.037). No side effects were seen on ProBactrix(tm). "This pilot study provides further compelling evidence that probiotic approach-and PROBACTRIX(tm) in particular -- may prove to be an important addition to the medical armamentarium for patients with these painful, embarrassing symptoms," said Dr. Samuel Adler, head of the BioBalance Medical Advisory Board. "The patients need the help and we anticipate future trials will sustain the benefits of this approach." Pilot Study Follows Results Presented At Major May 2003 Scientific Meeting :A study presented at the 2003 Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gastroenterologists reported capsule endoscopy (CE) results in six of eight intestinal bowel disease (IBD) patients who completed four to six week PROBACTRIX(tm) therapy. Three out of six patients had a very significant clinical response, with marked reduction in abdominal symptoms and improvement in well being. In these three patients, CE revealed significant inflammation in the proximal small bowel pre-treatment and significant improvement post-treatment, according to researchers. Gastroenterologists at Bikur Cholim Hospital, Jerusalem, who presented the initial study. Our planned timetable calls for completing the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) review process for PROBACTRIXTM by Q1 '04, followed by the introduction ofPROBACTRIXTMinto the United States market as a medical food for the dietary management of Irritable BowelSyndrome ("IBS&#8221
symptoms in late 2004.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
i almost sure that i contact them few month ago and it was not available anywhere in the world.but i would like to have weekly info on that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.