Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!!I almost split my side laughing when I saw the TV ad for a new weight loss drug called Xenical. It works by preventing 30% of the absorption of fat a person eats. Great!!The disclaimer/warning at the end is what got to me. It says that there may be excessive gas, oily leakage, loose bowels and an inability to control bowels!! Doesn't that kind of sound like IBS? So now people who want to loose weight can also experience the joys we have known for years.I wouldn't touch that drug with a ten foot pole! Watch for the ad- an actual drug with the side effects of IBS. Unbelievable!wpmom

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi wpmom. I don't watch tv so I haven't seen it, but people will take anything! I sure won't go near it. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
176 Posts
wpmom:Yep, that ad for Zenical is utterly unbelieveable! I was dumbfounded when it ran on tv the other night.All my hubby said was the obese people must be grasping at anything as an aid for weight loss if they think becoming IBS-D is a good trade-off to drop the pounds. Wonder if they'll stay on Zenical when these possible side effects become a nasty nuisance and total disruption of their daily lifestyle?Hmmm, also wonder if their new found IBS will go away if they discontinue the drug?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I saw that ad last night. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Anybody who takes that after hearing all the side affects(uncontrollable diarrhea?????!!!!), has got to have a screw loose!! I've heard of desperation, but that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My dad and I were watching tv together when we saw that ad. The end, oily discharge, leakage, inability to control bowels. . . . where do I sign up???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,I live in Australia so I have not seen this ad but from what you guys have said it sounds hysterical. What sort of person would take this medication? I can't stop laughing at the thought of someone actually wanting to take this medication.I am sure there will be people wanting to buy it anyway!!!!Rachel

·
Registered
674 Posts
I saw it too, and my first thought (other than someone would have to be certifiable to take the stuff) was that I wondered if a long-term side effect of taking it could be IBS. I wonder what it would do your insides for the long haul?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I've seen the ad....and please don't laugh, but where I'm a "C" type and always complaining about being "plugged" up..my husband and I watched this commericial the other night and he said, "why don't you get some of that stuff, that ought to unplug you". (I'm sure he was kidding)
------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I saw the ad and couldn't believe my ears...these folks are willingly going to give themselves IBS symptoms!! Hey, if they can come up with a medicine to GIVE you the symptoms, surely they can devise an ANTEDOTE for the medicine!!!
Things that should be added to the side effect list in the Xenical commercial....may cause impaired sexual function, my cause extreme depression, may cause your friends to tell you "it's all in your head"...LOL------------------Happiness is a warm puppy. -Charles Schultz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to see it twice because the first time I was sure I misunderstood the side effects. I'm sure my mouth hung open in disbelief. Good one K9mom! Jackie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always cringe a little when I see that ad -- and other ads for other drugs that can give you such nasty side-effects! I'd think it would just be easier to watch one's fat intake. (A friend recntly told me she is taking a fat-blocking drug now...ugh!...said she was told there were hardly any side-effects. hmmmm.....)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen that ad too and it cracks me up. It reminds me of those fake ads they do on Saturday Night Live, which sound real, but are so absurd that you just aren't sure. The first half seemed completely normal, and then they went into these horrible side effects that no one in their right mind would tolerate. Yeah, great...you'll lose weight, but you'll be stuck in your bathroom the rest of your life! No thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I nearly died when I saw that ad--thinking who in the sam hill would take that stuff. Littleone you are right--it does sound like a Saturday Night Live ad. Maybe you can make a million dollars by writing the skit for them. Hey maybe I'll co-star in it with other BB members!! Not on your LIFE!!!------------------Lerie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That ad left me hysterical laughing. Oily leakage? This is heavy duty IBS. My husband works on drug studies. We could just imagine the poor souls who participated in the study. I hope they were paid well.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Mad TV does a skit commercial for a product called "Oops, I crapped my pants" a la Depends commercials...it was almost to close to home to be funny...
------------------Happiness is a warm puppy. -Charles Schultz

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I saw the commercial, I thought the same thing as you did. My fiance said hey, if they can come up with a med that causes it, WHY cant they come up with a med to control or cure it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
saw the ad...noticed it said using xenical and A LOW CALORIE DIET would help you loose weight...duh...looks like the Xenical is just a punishment in case you forget...that oily leakage will show you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Didn't see the ad, but that drug sounds like the way that fake fat works. You know, the stuff in the WOW! fat free potato chips and other fat free, I-want-my-junk-food stuff. Just looking at it gives me the creeps - I'd probably be hospitalized if I ate it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts