Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone who takes antibiotics for their acne notices any difference in their IBS syptomes. I take Tetracycline 250mg twice a day, but I haven't really paid attention to see if it makes it better or worse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was taking 500 mg. of amoxicillin twice a day for acne. I felt better once I stopped taking it.Just my opinion.Actually I told the dermatoligist I had stomach problems and he said this could make me feel worse, but gave it to me anyway.Now I just stick to clearasil, Ill deal with the couple of zits.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have taken long-term low-dose erythromycin several times over the years for acne, and it always makes my stomach pains and diarrhoea much worse. Not to mention the effects of long courses of antibiotics on my general health - now I avoid them unless I need a short course for an acute infection. Other antibiotics don't seem to bother me. You could take probiotics to counter the effects of antibiotics?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I firmly believe that my IBS began when I was on tetracycline and simultaneously was infected from bacteria from water I drank from a mountain spring. I think the tetracycline obliterated the "good" bacteria in my bowel, so that it couldn't fight off the other bacteria. Before the tetracycline, I was always able to fight off viruses or infectons and return to normal. Two doctors have concurred with this opinion. From now on, I won't take any tetracycline, or other strong antibiotic, unless it's a life-threatening condition. I only wish I would have known then what I know now!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I took antibiotics for about 2 years, for acne, then i became sick with crone's/ibs. I don't know if it is related. What i do hear is that antibiotics strip the good bacteria in your bowel. It is now 22years later, I still get acne once in a while, I now use proactive. That is what I would use instead of antibiotics anyday,for acne.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.