Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you find that your stomach bothers you along with the IBS? I try to go off the Prevacid and sometimes I can for awhile but then something stirs up in the stomach (usually goes along with IBS havoc) and I'm back on the pills again.Any suggestions to making my stomach feel better?Tania

·
Registered
287 Posts
Have you been tested for acid reflux? I've noticed that my IBS often acts up at the same time my acid reflux does. I took Prevacid for about a month last fall but it made my stomach feel like a rock, so I had to go off it.You may want to keep using the Prevacid, or another medication for acid reflux/stomach issues. I am currently using Protonix. There are over-the-counter medications available if you don't have a prescription.[This message has been edited by SaraCC (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Have you been tested for acid reflux? I've noticed that my IBS often acts up at the same time my acid reflux does. I took Prevacid for about a month last fall but it made my stomach feel like a rock, so I had to go off it.You may want to keep using the Prevacid, or another medication for acid reflux/stomach issues. I am currently using Protonix. There are over-the-counter medications available if you don't have a prescription.[This message has been edited by SaraCC (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been using Prevacid now for several months. It works beautifully for me, no more acid. I did go off it for a few days due to an insurance debacle and the reflux was there full force. I notice no other side effects from Prevacid. I tried prilosec, zantac, tagamet and Prevacid was the only thing that worked full time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been using Prevacid now for several months. It works beautifully for me, no more acid. I did go off it for a few days due to an insurance debacle and the reflux was there full force. I notice no other side effects from Prevacid. I tried prilosec, zantac, tagamet and Prevacid was the only thing that worked full time.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My doctors thought I had acid reflux because of burning pains, and I was on prevecid for almost a year. It helped, but I still had pain. Since I found this board I learned about malabsorption of sugars and went on a sugar and fruit free diet. Before that I had an episode of serious pain from taking too many calcium carbonate antacids as well as the prevecid. Since I went on the sugar free diet I don't need prevecid all the time, but I take it occasionally if I have a bad attack - usually from a diet experiment gone wrong. I find it works best if I take it after the symptoms begin instead of first thing in the morning like my doctor instructed.If you also take calcium carbonate antacid be careful not to take too much or for too long. A buildup of calcium in the stomach *increases* acid because acid is required to digest calcium. I did better when I switched to Gaviscon, but it has sugar in it, so now I use pepcid instead for symptoms that aren't serious enough to require a prevecid.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My doctors thought I had acid reflux because of burning pains, and I was on prevecid for almost a year. It helped, but I still had pain. Since I found this board I learned about malabsorption of sugars and went on a sugar and fruit free diet. Before that I had an episode of serious pain from taking too many calcium carbonate antacids as well as the prevecid. Since I went on the sugar free diet I don't need prevecid all the time, but I take it occasionally if I have a bad attack - usually from a diet experiment gone wrong. I find it works best if I take it after the symptoms begin instead of first thing in the morning like my doctor instructed.If you also take calcium carbonate antacid be careful not to take too much or for too long. A buildup of calcium in the stomach *increases* acid because acid is required to digest calcium. I did better when I switched to Gaviscon, but it has sugar in it, so now I use pepcid instead for symptoms that aren't serious enough to require a prevecid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts