Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading throught the posts I see alot of you guys use MOM, suppositories, laxatives etc. occasionaly and can rely on probiotics and diet to help the C. I just dont go without help from all my meds. I guess Im stuck but does anyone else have this dilema? I probably need the sitz marker test but Im petrified to not take anything for that long- i can't imagine how miserable Id be not going for many days!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lorilou,I think you should do the test and find out if there's something that can be done so you don't have to depend on your meds everyday. I do take MOM sometimes, but there was a time last year that I took it everyday for 6 months. I was really afraid of not taking it, but I didn't let fear stop me and I stopped taking it. That’s' when I realized that if I soak 2tsp of flax seeds with 3 to 5 prunes overnight, everyday and then have it every morning before breakfast it had a laxative effect. I also eat lots of IF cereal and beans for dinner. I make sure to drink lots of water after breakfast and I have 1 to 2 BM every morning. I don't feel perfectly fine and some days are feel aren't good, but I'm trying all I can not to become dependent on meds to have a BM. If I had no other choice, I would, but that would be the last resource. On Friday I have to take that pill where I can't have enemas or laxatives until Monday when they take x-rays to see how much stuff I still have left in my system. That makes me nervous knowing that I can't take MOM if needed to, but is a small price to pay for long term results. I trust God that everything is going to be ok in Jesus name. I know it's a lot harder for you b/c you never have a BM without the meds, but maybe you can try what I told you for a few days and see what happens. If you need to take your meds after a few days, take it and then try again for few days again until your system starts working little by little without the meds.I'm going to keep praying for you, for God to guide you and gives you the strength do to what's best for you.A big hug and blessings,Abi

·
Registered
13 Posts
I definately NEVER go without my meds. Sometimes in spite of taking my meds I will suddenly stop going again. - I take 300 mg magnesium oxide mid-day, stool softner at dinner, 1 dose of metimucil about 8:00 p.m. and 4 tbsp. lactulose at 10:00. Of course, it is an ongoing search for relief as everything I find that works eventually stops working and when that happens, I am back to the stressful situation where I have to try to find a new combination of meds to make me go and this can take weeks on end. I try not to take stimululant laxatives as my gastroenterologist tells me I have a condition where the inside of my colon is dark due to years of using senna products.I am supposed to do the marker test next month and I am scared stiff not to take anything for 7 straight days! I know I will simply not go the whole week which means that whatever routine I have going in order to go will be out the window and I will have to start all over again after the test to try to get myself in a routine and find a combination of meds to get me going and again, this often takes weeks to find the right combination.To make a long story short - yes, I am totally dependent on meds!Sue

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Abi, thanks for the prayers- thats the best anyone can do for me. you said youre taking a pill on Fri and go Monday- is that a transit time test? Hel;pless said she has to wait a whole week without meds for hers- wondering what the differences in the tests are.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Abi, about the flax seeds, are they ground or whole? and do you get dried prunes? do you add water to soak them?? Fill me in and ill try it as i wean off some of these meds. also when you take them in the morning how long till it kicks in?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lorilou,Yes, I'm taking a pill tomorrow for the transit time test and then go back on Monday and Wed for x-rays. If I needed to I can take MOM tonight or tomorrow morning to have a good BM before I take the pill. I'm planning to take the pill tomorrow night. I won't be able to take a laxative/enema after that until Wed. after the x-rays. So if you think about its 4 days that you won't be able to take your meds if you do the test.The flax seeds I usually have them whole. For the past couple of weeks I grounded them twice to see if it was better. I think that when you grind them the stool comes out with more consistency. If you want it really loose, not watery like with MOM, but loose, try them whole first. If I was you I will start trying the flax seeds soaked in cup of water overnight with the prunes for a couple of days, or more if you want to and still take your meds. Then after a couple of days, don't take your meds and see if you have a BM. It might be small and you might not have the empty feeling(like you do taking when you take meds) but keep trying it. Don't stop taking your meds all at once. I would give it month before going off your meds totally. Now, you also have to drinks lots and lots of water and have a high IF and some SF for all your meals.I eat beans, lentil soups, brown rice and Fiber One cereal. I can't promise you that it will all be easy and pain free, but I think it's worth trying. I also take magnesium supple. 4OOmg, you can try taking magnes. Oxide seems to be stronger effect on your bowels, but I also use citrate. If you want to email me or even if you want to talk, I'm here, just let me know.Lorilou, I'm going to send you a private message to share some things with you that I believe will encourage you in the Lord.A big hug and blessings,Abi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.