Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found that the natural supplement 5-HTP has helped with depression, pain and or constipation. Its supposed to help with sleep and anxiety too and have much less side effects than the SSRI's. I have read somewhere that it could cause constipation ... anyone had any experience with it.I'm IBS, very C type with lots of pain, gas, bloating and total exhaustion yet suffer from insomnia. Sound familiar to anyone? None of the pharmaceutical drugs help, so I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this product.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I actually saw it the other day in a health food store. I read the back of it out of curiousity, but it says that it should not be used by people with IBS. I do not understand why.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm curious too. Eric and perhaps Mike have posted about it but it was long and cryptic.Can anyone give a simple answer (in 3 paragraphs or less) if it will help or hurt those with C type IBS? I bought some but now I'm afraid to use it.P.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Taking a supplement of 5ht will perhaps increase it in the brain, but I have not read anything about it helping regulate the 5ht receptors in the gut, which you think you would have if it effected it at all, so I am not sure it would have any effect on the symptoms stemming from the gut.An increase of 5ht in the gut receptors causes d and a decrease c.To big of increase in the brain and it will increase anxiety and hurt sleep.This is some information. http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW...438/325205.html

·
Registered
927 Posts
Eric,Have you ever heard that people with IBS should not take it? Also, does Zelnorm only work on the 5ht receptors in the brain as well?I read the article from a link you provided in your post about Serotonin and how the gut actually has a "brain of it's own" so to speak. But it also said that they have found that the stomach "brain" also seems to mimick the condition of the brain. So would this make it possible that it could help regulate the 5ht receptors in the gut?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I personally would not take this and it probably won't have to much effect on IBS. It may make you calmer though. Other chemicals compete with 5HT at the brain level, but its not likely to have any effect at sertonin production or flow through the cells in the gut that is part of why we may have IBS.There are other concerns with this the purity of the product for instance. If you do this I would be very cautious and actually I wouldn't mess with it personally, just my opinion though.I would talk to your doctor before taking it for sure also.Zelnorm, is a whole different ball game, it was specifically design to block serotonin at the 5ht four recetors and not effect serotonin in the brain.The 5ht supplement may have no effect on the gut serotonin receptors and why you don't here it being pushed for IBS.Relaxtion techniques I have to say help regulate all these chemicals and workings way better, if you calm the brain down you can calm the gut down and vise versa. There is a whole lot more to it then that, but its a very important part of the picture as well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, this is really interesting, however I am a bit confused. The article did mention that 5HTP can have effect on the gut ... sometimes causing D or sometimes C depending on what type you have, ... it sounds to me that it kind or helps regulate the situation. (??!!)
I have noticed warnings not to take too much as it can cause "serotonin syndrome", increasing anxiety etc. and also not to take it if you are on any other antidepressants ... Havent seen any reference to IBS though. The problem is there are so many different 5HT receptor sites, its hard to know which one's the supplement actually targets. The article mentioned sleep, appetite and pain perception and that it does act as a neurotransmitter in the GI tract, so it does sound like it could have some potential, possibly without the side effect of the prescription SSRI's. Zelnorm target 5HT4 and the med for D targets 5HT3 ... Could this supplement possibly target all of them, but wouldnt that mean there would be so many side-effects??I too have had a bottle for ages and am scared to take it. I have just started taking Zoloft, but am not happy with it and would rather take a natural supplement.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
It mentions that 5ht serotonin in the gut production has an effect on IBS, not the supplement and that is important.The supplement targets the brain not the gut cell receptors.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Eric,Our postings kind of crossed over. What you said does make a lot of sense though, and we also dont know if we are getting what the label says. I was just trying to figure out what may enhance the effectiveness of Zelnorm, because for some of us it can take several modalities.Relaxation for me has not helped ... the pain is too severe, also I actually find it slows me down, including my digestive system. It's kind of tough to make yourself relax when one is in excruciating pain, it often actually kind of intensifies the pain (for me). It's kind of like forcing yourself to fall asleep when you're wide awake.I struggled a lot with the Hypnosis tapes which are great and really relaxing, however for me, it didnt work for the pain. When I am at my most relaxed, like sleeping, which is a rare occasion for me, even then the pain will wake me with a jolt ... I have not been able to get more than 2 hours sleep max without the pain waking me. Then there's the problem of falling asleep. Boy, this situation is tough. I was kind of hoping that the 5htp may help with the sleep and the pain, however I guess not.I take Klonopin and Melatonin to sleep, and have taken Ambien, Restoril and Valium, however even though I am sooo sleepy, the pain keeps me up most of the night ... even when I'm kind of "brain dead" and like a zombie! I guess for me, the relaxation aspect is just a part of the process, however not enough.
I sure wish I had the answers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Eric .... that REALLY MAKES SENSE NOW! Thanks for clearing up all my doubts and questions.
Wow, we've really been "crossing over" with our postings!Well, anyway, I feel a lot better now ... Thanks a ton ... one less thing to worry about and make decisions about
Guess I'll just stick to Zoloft and wait for Zelnorm. I do wish it would be on the market soon!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Metoo, I would just not take the supplement really.Hopefully zelnorm will be out by the end of the year or sooner maybe.I think the zelnorm is something for you to try that might help in your case.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again. I cant wait for it to be available. I sure do hope it works for severe cases. I'm just concerned about the chronic laxative use even though I have reduced my usage by more than 3/4.They didnt allow me on the clinic trials because I'm taking a benzodiazipine (klonopin) and after seeing my medical records they said the drug is only for mild to moderate cases and mine is too severe (??!!) I sure hope they are wrong!!!I DESPERATELY NEED HELP, SO I AM KIND OF COUNTING ON ZELNORM. THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flux, thanks for the info. You're right, I should leave all that junk stuff alone and focus on Zelnorm.I'll definately give it another chance and as long as it takes ... I just hope it doesnt intefere with the other medications I'm on.I just received some from Mexico today so I will be starting that real soon. Right now the pain is excruciating ... MUCH worse than normal, so I think I will wait a day or so.Thanks again for the info and your encouragement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.