Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm on the hope part of my rollercoaster and coming out of the "i give up" phase. I've decided to try some other possibilities to see if they help my IBS-C. A friend who is a physician suggested trying a homeopath who has an MD. Anyone had success with this? I did a search and came up with very little on homepaths on the board.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear! How did you find him? Could you tell me what your homeopath did and what your symptoms were? I just don't know much about homepathy. Thanks![This message has been edited by wishicouldgo (edited 10-28-2000).]

·
Registered
193 Posts
my mom found the doctor from a listing in a magazine, or something like that... i'd imagine, depending on the area you live on, that it wouldn't be too hard to find one through the internet/yellow pages... maybe you just need to try different terms?anyway, my symptoms were C, really bad bloating, gas, weird little abdominal "spasms", stomach pains, indigestion... first, the doctor did a thyroid test that is more sensitive than the ones you typically get, and it detected that i had a slightly low thyroid, so he started me on thyroid supplementation. then he had a stool test done, which showed that i had no "friendly" bacteria at all in my intestine, and a lot of candida yeast (i know this topic is controversial!) so he put me on a supplement for 2 weeks, i think it had licorice and bismuth salts in it, that is supposed to make the intestine more favorable to "good" bacteria, put me on probiotics, and put me on diflucan for 2 weeks for the yeast, as well as an anti-candida diet (basically, no sugar/no yeast/nothing fermented). with these changes my symptoms improved a lot but still not as much as i wanted. then the doctor guessed that i may have low stomach acid, and put me on stomach acid supplements, which helped my indigestion and bloating A LOT!! he suggested i take magnesium supplements, also, he suggested that i cut wheat out of my diet, and this also helped. so where i stand now is, almost all of my symptoms are gone or drastically alleviated. no spasms, stomach pains or indigestion, very little bloating and gas, and very little C. they would probably be better except i don't adhere all that strictly to the diet. the only disadvantage is, it's not cheap. i was lucky in that my parents were willing to pay for it and my doctor was, i think, quite competent - even diagnosing hypothyroidism that my internist had missed. i was totally at my wits' end and very depressed so for me, having someone actually attempt to get to the root of my problems was worth it. enjai think the advantage of a homeopath, or the one i saw anyway, is they will really pay more attention to your

G

·
Yes,i saw a highly recommended homeopath, if you want to know the results, it was a VERY expensive misdiagnosis on her part, and i quit going after $2,000 and feeling worse.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wish you luck. I know some people have had success but it is my opinion that they are mostly quacks who make a ton of money selling their own supplements. If IBS were as simple as yeast and diet, research would not be focusing on such complicated treatments like Lotronex and Zelmac.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ditto to what Pete said,A friend of friend pays $120 per visit & 2 weeks ago the homeopath quack mistakenly misdiagnosed the poor guys sub par insulin level for a vitamin B12 deficiency, he wound up in the emergency walk-in as a result. --------------------------------------------Buyer Beware -John

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Homeopaths are

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Flux,How about herbologists? Please beam down a couple of good Halloweenie pics if you got em'.Question. I'm considering a good strong script for cervical/lumbar radicular related inflammation e.g neurontin, celebrex, or vioxx...which one of three is IBS "C" friendly? If neither one, any suggestions? Quote w/reply welcomed. Thanks John

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Wish,I was wondering how you are doing? I have never tried a Homeopath, but if were going to, I would make absolutely sure it was one with an MD also. Have you tried the sprouted grain bread? I know it has helped a lot of people. Unfortunately I am not one of them.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Rose it's good to hear from you! I am going to try the bread and the product you've been on as soon as I find them. As far as homeopaths go, it seems that all the success stories are homepaths with MD's and the bad experiences are homepaths without MD's. I should really continue the biofeedback since I only had 3 sessions and was supposed to have at least six. I'm sorry the bread didn't work for you but it sounds like the other product is still working for you?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I will say that I tried the homeopath once in college but we were really drinking alot and it was just that once. Since them I am strictly heteropath.What? Excuse Me? It's what?Ohhhhh....HomeOPATHY...well, thats very different isn't it.
Never mind.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't want to sound dicouraging, since I think homeopathy may have something to offer some people, but my experience of it was not good. Extremely expensive, and didn't help me a bit, even though I did everything I was supposed to and stuck with it for a while. He kept telling me that since I've had it all my life it would take a while to heal, but after a long time I gave up tired and poorer for it!I've heard of success stories with homeopathy, but unfortunately mine was NOT one of them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.