Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Anyone tried Aloe Vera juice?

800 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HipJan 
#1 ·
Someone recommended it to me years ago. I did try it, but it didn't work for me. I do know several people who it has worked for. It's natural, so I suppose it's always worth a shot !!!Ouch!

#2 ·
Here's some info on what it may be good for: http://www.geocities.com/chadrx/aloe.html
quote:V. Clinical Applications Oral: constipation, immune system enhancement, diabetes, asthma, viral infections (internal use of Aloe Vera is not generally recommended) [note: according to this site lots of other site recommend it quite a bit]VI. Toxicity *Potent cathartic action may cause diarrhea and abdominal cramping; not recommended for use as a laxative
K ------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.

G
#3 ·
I tried aloe vera juice for a couple of weeks, every morning about a half cup and didn't find a significant difference. The bitter taste was a little too much for me. Also my IBS is at an ok level right now where the aloe vera might not make much difference.I was told that aloe vera really helps if you have severe D and it helps to repair the lining in the intestine, but I'm not positive. (makes sense).Good luck with it!

#4 ·
I think it is wonderful. I only use a small amount (2-3oz) & I mix it with Gatorade to kill the taste. I am IBS-C/D so I need to be regular but I cannot take too much. The herbal pills caused the worst IBS attack I have ever had in my life because they were too strong for me. If I need an extra push, I use the Aloe for 1-4 days at no more than 3oz per day and it gets me going. The best part is no excess gas or bloating like I get from fiber suppliments.Give it a try. You may need to play with the size of the portion that works for you.P.

G
#5 ·
I took Aloe Vera. It tasted nasty so (very intelligently) had a nice strong coffee chaser - what an idiot I was! ZOOM! righ to potty. I have found that plantains help me. I rinse them and cut them up and boil them for 45 minutes and mash them with milk and salt and pepper. Tastes like mashed potatoes. It's reputed that they help the mucous lining of the stomach and intestines. I started the plantains when I thought I had an ulcer (pain following eating), but they gave me a little relief from the D for a couple days. I got a little bloated with gas, but I didn't care, I was pain free and regular (temporarily).This is not inetended to be an endorsement, sales propaganda, or alternative medical treatment, etc -Ru8th

G
#7 ·
Try George's Aloe Vera. You should be able to get it at any health store. I have been told it is the best one around. I have used it before. It tastes just like water, there in no taste to it. It's worth a try.

#10 ·
I tried aloe vera for my D tpe IBS as well as acid reflux. My D got worse but the acid disappeared! I chose to go with the acid! A good friend had terrible constipation and took aloe vera and it helped a lot. Now, I have given up on all herbals/homeopathic which just seemed to make everything worse and went to Prevacid for the acid and it is just as much a miracle as Lotronex was for the D. I hope they don't take my Prevacid away!!!!

G
#11 ·
I take about 2 ounces a day for IBS/C. It does make a difference for me but too much is a very very bad thing. i tried half a cup the other day and my tummy was cramping all day... got things moving though... it's worth a shot - just start with small portions (one or two ounces)

#12 ·
yes, I take 1 oz/day with 1 oz pure cranberry juice. the aloe vera is soothing. sometimes, when I've had heartburn or other burning pain, I've taken an additional ounce with water. I think it has helped a little.when people recommend not taking it orally, they are not referring to the gel or juice that you buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.