Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thought about this for some time and I am again thinking of trying it. My heart says try it but my head says it is yet another 'scam' type idea from companies that want to make yet more money from sick people so I thought I would ask if anyone here knows of anyone who has had positive results from a colon cleanse/detox?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of them have some sort of laxative in them, so all of them will temporarily reduce constipation. Often they seem to charge more for something you could buy on the laxative aisle without the cleansing/detox label on it.I know people who seem to be pretty normal who have some pretty severe sudden bathroom runs during a detox/cleanse so if you have diarrhea/urgency problems expect those to be worse for the duration.Some of them have various other herbs with various types of actions (like diuretics) as people feel when their body puts a lot of stuff out there must be some stored badness going with it. There isn't a lot of evidence they do much long term, the body is pretty well self cleansing and usually it takes more than a few rounds of laxative to get any toxins your body stores in the fat out. Some people feel really good from a detox/cleanse but a lot of people find them very draining and take a long time to recover from that.Some systems have probiotics in them and those may help, but you don't need to take them with a whole colon cleanse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would take care to build up my diet very slowly and gradually with a light diet after the cleanse. For instance, only rice soup (without the rice grains) the next morning, then rice soup + the rice grains for the next meal, etc. and very slowly build that up for a few days. I did this right after purgation during ayurvedic treatment. My practitioner was very adamant on this since digestion needs to recover and be built up again gradually after such a step.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes, twice. The first time with a salt water cleanse each morning and the 2nd time using a product called Oxyclean or something like that. Both made my symptoms worse in the short term and neither improved my symptoms in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.