Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out Zelnorm has been removed from the market when I went to refill it, the reasons, etc. and have cried my eyes out. But now I need to find an alternative.Like many others, it truly was my miracle drug. I have tried fiber, exercise, behavior therapy, simethicone and nothing worked until Zelnorm. I was even eating a diet of 30% All-Bran. Sure I was regular but killer stomach aches with the bloating.I live in Houston and am seriously considering making the drive to Mexico, however alternative treatments are preferable. I found an ad for Digestrol. Has anyone tried it? My symptoms are primarily bloating and stomach ache after eating (almost anything although there are trigger foods like pecans and Mexican food), with chronic constipation, although I can have a good BM and the bloating and pain is still there. Doctors haven't helped me (except prescribing Zelnorm); I don't think they even believe me. I've had upper and lower GI that showed no abnormalities.If anyone has tried Digestrol (OTC) or have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can usually find digestive enzyme supplements with about the same ingredients as Digestrol for WAY cheaper at a health food or supplement store.I had some that were less than $10 a bottle that was the same formulation Digestrol sells for $57 a bottle.Digestive enzymes are not known for helping much with constipation. There are other supplements that are (magnesium, laxative herbs like senna, etc.)Some here are having luck with colchicine which is for gout, but also speeds up the GI tract.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathleen, thanks for your response. I'm going to go get some digestive enzymes right now. I can live with the constipation (and treat it with All-Bran). I just haven't found a remedy for the bloating yet. Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, Kathleen. I didn't get your message until I made my purchase but fortunately it has Pancreatin. Vitamin Shoppe had a huge selection of brands. Not having studied up on it, I opted to go for the bottle that had the most different kinds of enzymes, which was their own brand, named "Mult-Enzyme" and "A Full spectrum Enzyme Formula." It says: Pancreatin providing Protease, Amylase and Lipase. Of course it has 6 other enzymes too.My stomach ache and bloating are gone this morning so perhaps this is going to work for me.I am constantly belching now which is now a new consideration for when I'm in public but hey, I'm not complaining. It's such a pleasure to be pain free.I've also decided to rededicate myself to lifestyle changes. 1. Take a brisk walk 3 times a day; I sit at my computer all day normally. I have noticed that taking a driving trips 4 hours or more causes bloating, so I'll stop and walk on trips too.2. I tried the hot water bottle technique I read on this site someplace and that helped. I think the heat causes better circulation in the abd area and gets things moving. 3. Watching my diet even better than before Zelnorm was removed from circulation. That sucks because I'm a restaurant critic (and spend my days at the computer writing reviews.)4. Finding something to laugh about daily. It is thought that the jiggle of a belly laugh helps in digestion, as well as one's general well being. Life without Zelnorm.....it isn't easy, but I do want to have a life!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.