Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I stopped by my gyn's office to pick up some sample packs of bcp (i love my gyn!) a few months ago and the ortho rep was there and the patch had just come out. I talked to her a bit about it...I was very interested! Still am! Seems like it would be great for us since we have bad tummies, altho my dr. said vomitting can cause probs with the pill but usually you absorb enough of the med when you have D. The only bad thing I've read about the patch is that it's not as effective for larger women. I can't remember the weight limit. I also wonder if it would be OK to do this continuously, or if that would not be advised since the patch is new.The patch lasts a week, so you use 3 a month, then have a week off for your period. It can go on the upper arm or shoulder, abdomen, butt, and there might be one more spot I'm forgetting. It is supposed to stay on through swimming, showering, etc.I bet you can find out more on a website. The patch is called Ortho Evra.Let us know what your doc thinks about it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also saw this advertisement recently. Don't know if I'd use it. I am on bcp, but I'm always very leary of new products on the market. It seems to me the FDA is allowing drugs on the market without as much testing as was done previously, and frankly, that scares me. Also, I do not like the idea of a medication that's longer acting than a pill that's taken once per day. These patches are effective for one week; the deprovera shots for 3 months (I believe) I would just worry how long a person would suffer side effects if they find they cannot tolerate the medication.If anyone has had an experience with the patch that they'd like to share, I'd sure like to hear it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I think the weight limit I heard was 160 or so. The product is not available in Canada until next year...our products have to go through more testing than in the USA.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I tired it for one month (one cycle). It does stay on tightly. It works the same as the pill and costs the same ($20 copay on insurance for me). I got off it, due to personal issues (breakup with boyfriend). Try it, what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have it on my butt cheek right now. I am on my 2nd week and I love it so far. I had it on my shoulder the first week, but my bra strap rubbed against it, and it kinda got on my nerves. I forgot that it is on when I have it on my butt. I don't mind it at all. One thing my dr. told me is that some people have an intolerance to the adhesive, but it doesn't bother me so far. Much better than having to remember to take the pill every single day. You only have to change it on your start day, mine is Sunday. Pretty easy so far, I will update after I have my next period. I was pretty reliable on the pill, start on Thursday, end on Sunday, so we will see.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I got the patch today. I have a one month sample pack. They also have a new ring that you insert that stays in for one month. I may try that if I don't like the patch. Doc says there are less side effects with the ring because it dispenses the hormones in one area instead of going through your whole body.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Someone commented that they don't like things that stay in your body for a while... Peeling off the patch would stop the dose of hormones right away, just like not taking your bc pill would.I am very interested in the patch for many reasons. It wasn't out yet when I saw my gyn in the spring...i had heard it was coming and asked about it then

·
Registered
155 Posts
I say that too but I'm above 160 maybe when I get down to it. I was on a monthly shot which was so good and now I have to be on pills and theyve been making my stomach do flips. I told the lady that I had a weak stomach if it would bother it. She said nope, guess she didn't realize how weak it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.