Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PreforPro is marketed as "prebiotic" supplement. But, that's completely inaccurate. It's actually 4 different bacteriophages (viruses):

LH01 - Myoviridea

LL5 - Siphoviridae

T4D - Myoviridae

LL12 - Myoviridae

PreforPro is a novel prebiotic that supports the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut through a mechanism that is not fiber, carbohydrate or starch‐based. PreforPro destabilizes the cell wall of certain bad bacteria, resulting in the release of nutrients into the environment which can then be utilized by probiotics and the good bacteria of the GI tract. It is efficacious in small doses within hours (not days), with a broad spectrum of probiotic species, and it does not cause flatulence as large doses of fiber-based prebiotics often do.
Basically, it's viruses that kill bad bacteria. Fascinating, no?

It's in several products. One product is Dr. Tobias Prebiotics, which used to be called GutMeister.

Has anyone tried it? I'm tempted. But, I don't know if it would be good for IBS-C or not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is fascinating!

I've heard about Phages in the context of the problem of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Phages can be used in lieu of antibiotics. They have been known for a very long time, but to a large extent were overlooked because antibiotics were the easier and more convenient way to go (in contrast to broad spectrum antibiotics, a doctor would have to test for and identify the particular bacteria causing the infection in order to provide the right phage.

I want to learn more about this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts