Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc gave me a script for a drug called Questran. He said that it's actually a cholesterol lowering drug that is often given to people to control chronic diarrhea. Especially in women who have had their gallbladder removed. I have not tried the drug yet as I am trying Hyoscyam first, but I just read an article about this drug and wondered if anyone has tried it and what kind of results they have had. Samantha

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you use the seach thing under the post a reply thing you will find a goodly number of threads about this medication.For many people it has been an extremely effective medication. Some people get heartburn from it and find that side effect to be bad enough to discontinue taking it.It binds bile and doesn't get into your body so it avoids many of the liver and muscle side effects of other types of cholesterol lowering drugs.What it does is bind bile so it cannot be reabsorbed into the body. Binding it also prevents it from causing diarrhea when too much of it gets into the colon.In people who take it for cholesterol purposes it tends to be constipating so it may clear up diarrhea even in the absense of bile problems.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you use the seach thing under the post a reply thing you will find a goodly number of threads about this medication.For many people it has been an extremely effective medication. Some people get heartburn from it and find that side effect to be bad enough to discontinue taking it.It binds bile and doesn't get into your body so it avoids many of the liver and muscle side effects of other types of cholesterol lowering drugs.What it does is bind bile so it cannot be reabsorbed into the body. Binding it also prevents it from causing diarrhea when too much of it gets into the colon.In people who take it for cholesterol purposes it tends to be constipating so it may clear up diarrhea even in the absense of bile problems.K.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Love it, love it ,love it.. i cant imagine my life without it..I also was on the levib and it did nothing for me at all..But the Questran now thats a different subject..I have no GB, so it really makes a difference...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Love it, love it ,love it.. i cant imagine my life without it..I also was on the levib and it did nothing for me at all..But the Questran now thats a different subject..I have no GB, so it really makes a difference...

·
Registered
172 Posts
are there any side effects for it (other than C, which seems to help some with D)???should it be considered for people who have not been diagnosed with any gallbladder probs but still have chronic ibs-d???i keep hearing so much about questran, but i'm unsure if it's even worth bringing up to my doc...meth

·
Registered
172 Posts
are there any side effects for it (other than C, which seems to help some with D)???should it be considered for people who have not been diagnosed with any gallbladder probs but still have chronic ibs-d???i keep hearing so much about questran, but i'm unsure if it's even worth bringing up to my doc...meth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take Colestid, which is a pill form of Questran, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It has given me back my life after 40 years of chronic D! I had my GB out a number of years ago and that made it even worse. It can cause heartburn, but I'm willing to have even some of that before I'll give up my ability to go out and eat and not have to avoid social gatherings!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take Colestid, which is a pill form of Questran, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It has given me back my life after 40 years of chronic D! I had my GB out a number of years ago and that made it even worse. It can cause heartburn, but I'm willing to have even some of that before I'll give up my ability to go out and eat and not have to avoid social gatherings!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A question for those who have had success with Questran and D ... does Questran help with gas (as in flatulance)? Hope springs eternal!! Thanks for any replies!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A question for those who have had success with Questran and D ... does Questran help with gas (as in flatulance)? Hope springs eternal!! Thanks for any replies!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Devon: Sorry, but I can't say that! It just makes it a little safer to release it for those of us who have bad D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Devon: Sorry, but I can't say that! It just makes it a little safer to release it for those of us who have bad D.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Questran worked great for me the first couple of weeks, then I swung over to "the other side" and became chronically constipated. As a longtime D sufferer, I always thought that would be a relief, but now I understand the pain that C-types go through! For me, having a D attack always relieved the pain and nausea once it was over, but with C, it just goes on and on. That's not to say that you won't have good results from the Questran, pepto, like many of the posters here. I suspect it depends on whether or not your gall bladder (or lack of) is somehow involved in your IBS.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Questran worked great for me the first couple of weeks, then I swung over to "the other side" and became chronically constipated. As a longtime D sufferer, I always thought that would be a relief, but now I understand the pain that C-types go through! For me, having a D attack always relieved the pain and nausea once it was over, but with C, it just goes on and on. That's not to say that you won't have good results from the Questran, pepto, like many of the posters here. I suspect it depends on whether or not your gall bladder (or lack of) is somehow involved in your IBS.

·
Registered
766 Posts
A while ago there was some talk about this in the Lotronex forum... someone posted a link to a study showing that many of hte people they tested with chronic D actually had gallbladders that weren't functioning fully, even if they didn't have GB symptoms. Questran helped them. Will try to find that later for you if I can.

·
Registered
766 Posts
A while ago there was some talk about this in the Lotronex forum... someone posted a link to a study showing that many of hte people they tested with chronic D actually had gallbladders that weren't functioning fully, even if they didn't have GB symptoms. Questran helped them. Will try to find that later for you if I can.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i actually learned about this at last month's self-help group meeting in NJ...we had a guest speaker who is a gi doctor in the area, and who told us of certain mis-diagnoses or assumptions that many gi doc's make when telling the patient he/she has ibs.one of the prevelant assumptions, according him, is that the gallbladder is working fine...supposedly many people diagnosed with ibs actually have malfunctioning gb's (is this true?) and can easily overcome with questran or the like...he even said the problem is named after him (habba syndrome? anyone hear about it? the dr.'s name is dr. habba)....not that i put all my faith into everything he told us, but it did raise lotsa eyebrows in the room, and i'm gonna ask my doc about this the next appt.any input on this, i'd appreciate....meth

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.