Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Stevia yet? It's made from a sweet herb called stevia rebaudiana and is supposed to have been in use South America since the 1500's, and is considered a natural sweetener. It is also used in Japan. Two teaspoons is as sweet as one teaspoon of regular sugar.I'm asking this as soon of the books mention sorbitol, fructose and honey as possible triggers (also sugar). I don't eat much sugar but I do drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and have been using Sweet N Low. I'd like to use something a little more natural. I'm not really fond of dumping regular sugar in my coffee. Thanks, JeanHas anyone used it? Has it caused a reaction?------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bettie:Thanks for your reply. I've only started seeing it in the health food stores in the past few months. A book I just bought (Healthy Healing by Linda R. Page, N.D.) says, "Today, Stevia is returning to the market after a long FDA import ban which was heavily influenced by Nutrasweet politics." I guess this weekend I could do some research over the internet to find out what the official FDA reason was. Thanks again. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Jean,I took a quick look for you and found this, although they are selling Stevia its still kindof interesting,I also don't know how old the page is? I didn't find any FDA articles yet. http://www.mcs.net/~joyce/stevia.html The sweetest substance in the world is Talin from a part of a seed of the Katemfe Plant,which is 6,150 times as sweet as table sugar. The plant is from parts of West Africa. Another Guinness Factoid from my new 2000 millenium edition,which is really cool
!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Eric. Somehow I knew you would be the first one to find information! I'm glad you're on this board.Some of what was writtin is in the book I would re diabetis, and I remember now hearing that Stevia cannot be advertised as a sweetener. I may just buy some next week and try it out, unless I hear something negative beforehand.Thanks again. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
773 Posts
I drink a tea called "callie tea", and in that I put about 5 drops of stevia sweetener. The kind I use is by sunrider, but for some reason it can't be sold as a food sweetener. It's sold in a little pink bottle as skin care. Anyways, I find it much sweeter than plain stevia. Stevia tends to have a bitter taste if it's too strong, or 100% pure.I don't know too much about it personally, but I'd take it over sugar ANY day.The tea I put it in is somewhat of a cleaning tea, and it tastes so yummy! Maybe it's the tea that makes it taste so good, but I sure enjoy it.Spirit.------------------He who loses money, loses much;He who loses a friend, loses more;He who loses faith, loses all.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Here's the FDA post to field offices on it read to the bottom. Just FYI this is from 1995. Lets see if this works that is one long URL? [This message has been edited by eric (edited 10-30-1999).]

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Spirit, Eric and SteveE:Spirit, I'm glad to know that you've used Stevia and like it. I've seen it near the spices in Whole Foods, but haven't checked anywhere else.Eric, thanks for the FDA links. They did work, and the articles were interesting. Unless I missed it, it never says exactly why there is an import ban and that it can't be labeled as a sweetener or used in foods. They just said it was unsafe. Unless they mean it hasn't been tested here yet. I think I may buy some in the next 2 weeks and try it.SteveE, I bought FiberSmart and don't see Stevia listed as one of the ingredients. Maybe she was talking about another product? I'll do a search sometime today to check it out.Thanks again, all of you. Jean ------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
My mother,who is diabetic, has been using Stevia for quite some time without any known adverse side effects. It was recommended by my brother who is into natural remedies, organic foods, and environmentally friendly products-as a matter of fact he has a business website where he sells wonderful natural products. Feel free to e-mail me for the web info. if interested.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, thronequeen, it's good to know your mother has not experienced any side effects. Now I know I'll try it. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
JeanG--I looked at the capsule and the powder forms at Whole Foods yesterday. It isn't in the caps, but it is all the way at the bottom of the list of ingredients for the powder form.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve, you're right! How could I have missed it. Must be these new glasses I'm trying to get used to. Thanks. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts