Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any of you have tried taking sick leave from work to get IBS under control. I have been trying so many different things and have not hit on the right combination of things for me yet. I am now on a new diet and find that this is taxing my system yet again and very tough to continue working through this. I live in Canada- so not sure if the disability situation would be different here than the U.S. Please let me know if any of you have tried this/run into problems...your thoughts on this idea?? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My place of employment is very generous with sick days. When my IBS flares-up really badly I stay home for a day or two. The rest seems to help. However, I doubt that a longterm leave would do any good for a variety of reasons....for example, I've taken long vacations and sometimes felt as bad or worse during that time. Sometimes my job is rather slow when I'm here too during certain times of the year, so I can basically read or whatever, eat at my leisure etc., and I still have bad days during those times.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Snoopy--I do find that taking a few months off is beneficial. I teach at a community college, and I take summers off since we are always cut down to 10-15 hours a week in the summer anyway. I use the summer to have tests run, try new meds, and adjust dosages.I know that not everyone is in the position to be able to do this, but if it is feasible, it really could help the situation.Debbie

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tell me about it. I took two and a half years off from work!!! Well, not off from work, but off. Didn't do me ANY good. Mind you, I didn't really care about anything at the time. I felt so crappy ALL the time, all I did was sleep on the couch and cry. I got about 20 hours of sleep a day because I didn't care about anything else. I started a new job about 3 months ago, and just over a month ago, I took one week off. I know it's only a week, but during that week I changed my diet, exersized, got LOTS of sleep (but not oversleep), all the good stuff. Let me tell you... It helped SO much I could hardly believe it! But the trick is to "get better". Not just "take time off". You've got to do things to help your body heal. Now that I'm back at work full time, I'm starting to think maybe I should take another week off. Maybe this is something we should do one every 3 months or so. Just take a week off... Or even a 4 day weekend. It really seemed to do the trick for me!Spirit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts