Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....I'd been given the impression by healthcare practitioners (and am fairly certain I've also read) that overacidity in the stomach can contribute to D/soft stools. someone on this BB, a while back, vehemently denied this idea, however.clear up the confusion, someone? can you explain? thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
JanetMD, It does seem to me that when my gurd is bad, I do have D. And when your gurd is bad, that means that you have alot of acid in your stomach right? But allso for me when my IBS is bad my gurd is bad so they seem to go hand and hand, for me anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By no means am I an expert on this, but I was just told yesterday by GI not to eat any citrus because of the acidity. The day before I had tried carrot juice with orange juice in it (if you've had carrot juice you'll know why) and I was in pain with cramps afterward. From my meager experiences, I would say it has a direct/immediate effect on me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Acidity seems like a plausible trigger for D. What foods are acidic, besides citrus fruits? (too bad I love citrus fruits!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, everyone. I've had acid reflux and, yes, my D/soft stools and overacidity seemed to go hand in hand also (first one, then the other). I've been on a low-acidic diet for a long time, myself. anybody have a technical explanation for it? I was told and/or read that the extra acid goes to the intestine, and the excess liquid then plays a role in creating D...something like that at any rate. I just am trying to figure out why someone here said this theory was totally incorrect. ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teal -- tomatoes were the "last straw" for me...seemed to do me in!Lollipop -- lots of foods are acidic...vinegar, even certain legumes and beef (I was told), certain other fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
If you are talking about "simple" excess acid in the stomach, then the answer is no, it shouldn't cause diarrhea because there is a fair distance between the stomach and the colon and because everything is still neutralized in the duodenum.Diarrhea can occur in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, but in this condition the the volume of acid gargantuan
.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 01-12-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm, interesting.... I wonder why, though, so many of us seem to have experienced a connection? perhaps we have had gargantuan amounts of acid?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Janet,Here's a related abstract of interest...---------------------------------------------Dig Dis Sci 1999 Sep;44(9):1893-8 Inhibition of gastric secretion relieves diarrhea and postprandial urgency associated with irritable bowel syndrome or functional diarrhea.Dave B, Rubin WDepartment of Medicine, MCP-Hahnemann School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Five patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), who also had chronic functional diarrhea and postprandial urgency, unexpectedly noted rapid relief of their diarrhea and urgency when they took lansoprazole for their heartburn. To determine if this surprising result was not fortuitous, all 20 patients seen during the next six months for chronic diarrhea and postprandial urgency due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or functional diarrhea were treated with inhibitors of gastric secretion: 14 with proton-pump inhibitors and 6 with H2 blockers. All patients had rapid, marked improvement. Usually within three days, their symptoms abated and they usually had one to three formed stools per day. Relief continued during the one to six months they were followed on therapy. Five patients stopped therapy, had recurrent diarrhea, and rapid relief upon resuming therapy. Thus, inhibition of gastric secretion effectively controls the diarrhea and postprandial urgency associated with IBS or functional diarrhea, probably by diminishing the gastrocolic or gastroenteric reflex. --------------------------------------------This research suggests that reduction of gastric secretion reduces D and urgency related to IBS. I haven't seen any other articles on this subject, so to the best of my knowledge these results have yet to be reproduced. I tried one of the H2 blockers a while back (Cimetidine), and I thought it helped, but the estrogenic side effects were too much to put up with, so I stopped.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Thanks for the article, Guy. I also have noticed that if I eat too much citrus or acidic food I will get diarrhea, and this in spite of the face I lean more towards C. I will also get a burning type sensation in my intestinal area.Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, guy. like I said, I've noticed some connection, myself, btw eating acidic-forming foods and D. eventually (much later), I was put on an alkaline diet. by the way, everyone, certain fruits/veggies (and as we know, dairy products), can cause an acidic reaction in you tummy even if they are not "acidic" foods. believe it or not, for example, lemons and limes, though acidic, cause a more alkaline reaction during digestion. (however, I've still mostly avoided them, 'cause I didn't want to irritate the lining of my esoph. and stomach by their initial acidity.)the article: I must be one of the more rare individuals who does not respond positively to H2 blockers. I'd been put on H2 reducers, then a blocker....all of them seemed to make my D/soft/loose stools, and urgency, much worse than ever: "uncontrollable." ('Cause I believe they were royally messing up my bacterial imbalance, which was likely much of the problem in the first place for me.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting article, Guy ...I wonder what other possible mechanisms might be involved. Acid foods do not particularly have that effect on me however I have an very acid stomach (pH<1) - unfortunately, it's not because of HCl.My gastric pH has been low (acid) for many years before I started getting loose stools -Still I wonder how much of that may be causing my looseness. Not that I think IBS is that simple necessarily - not at all. I think that it is usually multifaceted.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Inhibiting the acid doesn't automatically mean that acid is responsible. The conclusion in the abstract points to a different reason. Another mechanism might just be due to placebo effect since the trial wasn't placebo controlled we can't tell.svargo_99, why do you think your acidic stomach is due to if not HCl?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Interesting question Janet. I know I have a sensitivity to citrus/citric acid and that it causes an uncomfortable ache in my abd. and some distention/swelling sensation as well with the provocative sl testing (done with placebos which gave me no symptoms). I'm not sure if it caused any of my softer, more frequent stooling problem or if that was a result of the over-growth of those "bad bacteria/fungal guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info Guy.....your posts are always helpful...Yes when by reflux is bad, my D is always there. I have experimented with Zantac in the presciption strength. I do think it helps. I eat a lot of Tums...plus Caltrate....I should be getting plenty of Calcium.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have noticed that when I am having a bad bout of D, it is usually orange in color. I was told that this was more than likely from stomach acids not being absorbed back into the body through the small intestine. This leads me to believe that possibly the acid is causing the D as this is the only time my BM's are orange in color.
Christine------------------Smile!! It makes people wonder what you have been up to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.