Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced bad gas pains after taking Culturelle? I took one capsule early yesterday morning and have had gas pains ever since. I have been taking another brand of acidophilus for about 10 months now, but this has a much higher number of bacteria in it. I didn't take it this morning. Has anyone else had this and does it go away? I'm afraid to take it again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I believe the package says there may be a short-term increase in gas. That should go away after a week or so based on what they say.The bacteria in culturelle should produce little to no gas on its own, but the disruption to the colonic flora with its introduction could cause other bacteria to react in a way that produces more gas. (at least in theory).K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I believe the package says there may be a short-term increase in gas. That should go away after a week or so based on what they say.The bacteria in culturelle should produce little to no gas on its own, but the disruption to the colonic flora with its introduction could cause other bacteria to react in a way that produces more gas. (at least in theory).K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
693 Posts
I noticed a lot of gas the first few days after I took it. That seemed to go away but then I had wierd Bms. I had to go every morning which was good but it was like slow soft stools that took for ever to stop. Not D, but constant.It just drove me crazy. I thought I would never be able to leave the house.Now I am taking Kyodophilus which doesn't give me gas and I seem to be a bit more regular. Not normal yet ,but better. ~L~

·
Registered
693 Posts
I noticed a lot of gas the first few days after I took it. That seemed to go away but then I had wierd Bms. I had to go every morning which was good but it was like slow soft stools that took for ever to stop. Not D, but constant.It just drove me crazy. I thought I would never be able to leave the house.Now I am taking Kyodophilus which doesn't give me gas and I seem to be a bit more regular. Not normal yet ,but better. ~L~

·
Registered
368 Posts
Am I the only one here that like Culturelle, lol??? I mean, I noticed that alot of my gas probs diminshed. I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I've been doing ok. I guess everyone is different!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Am I the only one here that like Culturelle, lol??? I mean, I noticed that alot of my gas probs diminshed. I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I've been doing ok. I guess everyone is different!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I tend to think people just notice their gas more when they take a probiotic. I've taken 3 different (culturelle, probiotica, PB8) probiotics and never noticed an increase in gas. In fact, none of mine had any warnings about that either. Culturelle had something about "some people" thinking they had more gas, but it didn't sound like it was based on hard evidence. I've also never seen a good explanation of this theory. Kmottus, how would a disruption with non-gas causing bacteria increase gas? Even in theory this sounds fishy.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I tend to think people just notice their gas more when they take a probiotic. I've taken 3 different (culturelle, probiotica, PB8) probiotics and never noticed an increase in gas. In fact, none of mine had any warnings about that either. Culturelle had something about "some people" thinking they had more gas, but it didn't sound like it was based on hard evidence. I've also never seen a good explanation of this theory. Kmottus, how would a disruption with non-gas causing bacteria increase gas? Even in theory this sounds fishy.

G

·
Culturelle has commonly known to cause gas (especially with a sensitive stomach) because it contains inulin which is a non-digestible carbohydrate. Inulin is sometimes referred to as a prebiotic, meaning it feeds the good bacteria in the gut. However, because it is a non digestible carbohydrate, senstive stomaches tend to battle breaking it down, and cannot, therefore it causes gas. Another ingredient to look out for in some probiotics is FOS. It's very similar to inulin, and both are very commonly known to cause gas. I would stick with straight probiotics such as PB8, Probiotica, or Kyodophilus and try and find one's that are enteric coated, meaning the acid in your stomach won't break it down until it reaches your gut.Good luck and keep us posted. [This message has been edited by onedayatatime (edited 10-17-2001).]

G

·
Culturelle has commonly known to cause gas (especially with a sensitive stomach) because it contains inulin which is a non-digestible carbohydrate. Inulin is sometimes referred to as a prebiotic, meaning it feeds the good bacteria in the gut. However, because it is a non digestible carbohydrate, senstive stomaches tend to battle breaking it down, and cannot, therefore it causes gas. Another ingredient to look out for in some probiotics is FOS. It's very similar to inulin, and both are very commonly known to cause gas. I would stick with straight probiotics such as PB8, Probiotica, or Kyodophilus and try and find one's that are enteric coated, meaning the acid in your stomach won't break it down until it reaches your gut.Good luck and keep us posted. [This message has been edited by onedayatatime (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Culturelle has been working for me for several years. Then again people can react differently to the same medication.It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem.It can control certain kinds of D (intestines with an overgrowth of harmful bacteria) and for me personally has controlled intestinal gas. I take one capsule a day and two if I start to get D. Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It is made to work where it belongs in the large intestines. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this. You can find out more about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html ------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Culturelle has been working for me for several years. Then again people can react differently to the same medication.It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem.It can control certain kinds of D (intestines with an overgrowth of harmful bacteria) and for me personally has controlled intestinal gas. I take one capsule a day and two if I start to get D. Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It is made to work where it belongs in the large intestines. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this. You can find out more about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html ------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Culturelle has commonly known to cause gas (especially with a sensitive stomach) because it contains inulin which is a non-digestible carbohydrate.
That makes sense. But wouldn't we talking about a very, very small amount of carbs? I mean, it would be a fraction of a capsule. Would that really be able to produce the kinds of increases in gas people would notice?

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Culturelle has commonly known to cause gas (especially with a sensitive stomach) because it contains inulin which is a non-digestible carbohydrate.
That makes sense. But wouldn't we talking about a very, very small amount of carbs? I mean, it would be a fraction of a capsule. Would that really be able to produce the kinds of increases in gas people would notice?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently took Culturelle for one week straight, and became what I think to be constipated. I felt bloated, and would only have very skinny stools and not much at a time.I stopped, went back to eating yeast products, drinking beer, etc, and the next day was finally able to go normally - but had an INCREDIBLE amount of gas like I have never had before. The strange thing is, my BMs were normal. No cramps, either. Just TONS and TONS of gas and noise. This is slowly getting better, and I I still have normal BMs so far - so I don't know if that is a good sign what I went through or not.. Right now, I am not taking anything for the time being. I figure if it isn't propigating in my body by now, it never will. - Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently took Culturelle for one week straight, and became what I think to be constipated. I felt bloated, and would only have very skinny stools and not much at a time.I stopped, went back to eating yeast products, drinking beer, etc, and the next day was finally able to go normally - but had an INCREDIBLE amount of gas like I have never had before. The strange thing is, my BMs were normal. No cramps, either. Just TONS and TONS of gas and noise. This is slowly getting better, and I I still have normal BMs so far - so I don't know if that is a good sign what I went through or not.. Right now, I am not taking anything for the time being. I figure if it isn't propigating in my body by now, it never will. - Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.