Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but unfortunately not new to IBS. Here is my brief story: I've had IBS-D for 6 years although it seems that I've now transitioned to a C (no idea why). Over the last 6 years I've been to my MD countless times and also to four different GI docs. I've had scopes (up, down and sideways), ultrasounds, x-rays, CT scans) and practically every prescription and OTC known to man. I've also tried many odds things (such as shots of organic apple cider vinegar, cleanses, laxatives, charcoal tabs, fish oil capsules etc) and NOTHING has helped (not tests, meds or docs). Anyway, my question is this....how many of you with IBS (C or D) also have been diagnosed with a "fatty" liver? The last GI doc I saw did blood work on me and that was the only result that he felt necessary to mention. He actually looked at me and asked (in a rather demeaning tone) "do you drink excessively?" And to be completely honest, I'm 40 years old and am not now nor have I ever been a "drinker" (maybe 3 times a year). As an additional note - the only other thing that I've heard from the doctors is that I also have a hiatal hernia. Anyway (and I know it's a longshot) I'm just simply wondering if the IBS could in any way be tied in with the "fatty" liver diagnosis. Bottom line is that I am desperate for answers and just so tired of being uncomfortable with DAILY bloating/gas and mortified by the bodily noises, I just need some kind of answer(s) as to where all of this came from.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
That isn't one of the usual co-morbid conditions I've heard of.IBS typically is the fall out from having a GI infection and most people catch a "stomach flu" virus or have food poisoning sometime in their life.Hiatal hernias are funny as a lot of people are symptom free with that, but some people have a lot of heart burn and burping from them and end up getting it repaired.Fatty liver can be from eating too much or too little and sometimes they don't know why somone has ithttp://www.liverfoundation.org/education/info/fattyliver/ has some info.

·
Registered
312 Posts
have you tried the atkins diet before? it cured my IBS-D it works wonders when you cut them carbohydrates out i can now even eat broccoli when before i could not eat a single bite and i think it may be ok for IBS-C too just alter it to what seems to work for youthe diet takes awhile to learn and also you may need to alter things like no whipping cream cause that tends to cause problems for alot of people but then again every food needs a new test done cause old foods that hurt your gut like broccoli will no longer hurt italso don't eat any soy or canola oil there bad for your health and ibshttp://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/for...ction-faqs.htmlthat link expalins how to do the dietalso the atkins diet is one of the best possible diet's you can do to cure fatty liver :(and heres more info on ibshttp://www.biblelife.org/bowel.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.