Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start taking multivitamins just so I'm getting my daily nutrients, but I'm a little worried how I might react to some of the stuff in them. I have GNC's Mega Men which are a year after the "best by" expiration date (does that matter?). Here's a list of nutrients I'm not sure about:Vitamin KThiaminRiboflavinNiacinBiotinPantothenic AcidIodineCalciumMagnesiumZincSeleniumCopperManganeseChromiumMolybdenumAmino Acid Blend: Taurine, L-Methionine, L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, L-CarnitineHopefully, there's a pharmascist on the board. I'm assuming the amounts are too small to make a difference but I just wanna make sure.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I can tell you if you are D-predominant, then the magnesium can cause diarrhea.I know many people have had success with calcium, although I don't know how much would be in your vitamins. That's all I can help you on this, Easton.Hopefully, you'll get a response from someone who knows alot about these different ones.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have you tried using betaine hcl/pepsin? I Would be interested to know if anyone on here has had this supplement recommended by a doctor and has taken this and what were the results.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually magnesium and vitamin C levels are the ones that can cause problems in doses commonly found in multivitamins. However the calcium is constipating so may balance things out for some people depending on doses.Vitamin C at the RDA usually isn't a problem, but most things have a lot more than the RDA in them, however it depends on how your react. Magnesium can be a problem even at 100% or less of the RDA for some people.It is hard to know how any given person will react. Some do, some don't.K.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I, too, am D type and have been supplementing since 1998 without extra problems. Absorption of the minerals plays a large part in how much calcium, magnesium, and iron pass through the colon. Vitamins normally absorb at the same rate in all brands. Since there is an amino acid blend in the one's you have, that means the minerals are chelated and will absorb somewhere in the 40% range. (Non-chelated typically absorb in the 1-20% range, depending upon how readily they dissolve.) I use one that absorbs about 95% which is presumably why there is no negative effect.You would probably be wise to turf them and get some fresh ones. They do deteriorate over time.Mark

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
BTW, calcium carbonate tends to be constipating, and as far as I know calcium citrate doesn't have that effect. I take my calcium carbonate plain or with vitamin D. A lot of manufacturers tend to put magnesium, mineral oil, and/or stool softeners in products with a lot of calcium because they assume we will want to offset the constipating effects. I dunno if the stool softeners are an issue with OTC vitamins but they seem to be in a lot of prenatal vitamins!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.