Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering recently why my IBS symptoms only ever occured after I had my appendix removed when I was 10 years old. It got my mind thinking, the symptoms I got when I had appendicitis, albeit 11 years ago, were exactly that I am getting nowadays with my IBS. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had their appendix removed either in childhood or more recently. They say that the appendix has no use in the body, but could they be wrong?!RachL xxxx

G

·
I had my appendix out when I was 13... which was...AAAAAhhhggghhh, 32 years ago.But, interesting thought!I've often wondered how many of us were prescribed antibiotics in our teens for acne, and if that sort of early chronic imbalance of intestinal flora might have any bearing on our respective plights.Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was prescribed 2 courses of antibiotics for acne when I was a teen.The first, my freshman year...Tetracycline--2 months in my stomach started hurting all the time, and I developed bad diarrhea, so I stopped taking it and resumed life, where my symptoms started.Senior year went on a YEAR LONG course of Doxycycline... Haven't been the same since.But, you know the ironic thing? I started to break out recently (I thought I was supposed to grow out of this), and I would actually go back on antibiotics again...when I think that's one of the reasons my intestines are so jacked up. It's sad I would even consider it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I still have my appendix too however I also went on 2 courses of antibiotics when I was about 14-16 for pimples. Hmmm come to think of it I had a lot of C before then! Now days I'm an A but more D than anything. Grant, you are not alone. I actually got a prescription filled about 5 months ago for cipramil or something (it started with a C but I don't think that was it) but I couldn't bring myself to actually take it. So you're not alone in the desperation!

·
Registered
408 Posts
No antibiotics for acne, still got my appendix [and my wisdom teeth!], but have IBS.Not to say it can't be post-antibiotic/floral disruption...I *did* in fact literally wake up with it the day after I tried keeping the last doses of a really nasty antibiotic down with phenergan, on the recommendation of what passed for a doctor at the time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.