Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if the removal of appendix has any thing to do with getting IBS? Most people I talk to have been said to have IBS after removal of appendix.Do you have your appendix and have IBS? Mine was removed 25 years ago when my gallbladder was removed. I've had bowel problems many times since but reacently been said to have IBS. What is your thoughts on this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I still have my appendix and suffer from IBS, however I had my gallbadder removed 10 years ago....right before I developed IBS. I have heard other sufferers say that their symptoms started after gallbladder removal as well. Samantha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I still have my appendix and suffer from IBS, however I had my gallbadder removed 10 years ago....right before I developed IBS. I have heard other sufferers say that their symptoms started after gallbladder removal as well. Samantha

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Removal of the gall-bladder is more likely to be associated with diarrhea afterward than the appendix from what I've heard.OTOH surgery is sometimes associated with the start of IBS AND the appendix is removed usually because of an infection and inflamation and the "friendly fire" that occurs (the immunes system releases many lethal chemicals to kill things and there usually is some damage to your body) has been implicated in causing IBS when it is a overall GI infection.I'm anatomically complete other than having had wisdom teeth and 4 bicuspids removed.The only surgeries I have had have been on my head (fixed the inside of my nose and had my eyes uncrossed).My IBS when it was bad was very severe painwise.Check out the calcium and Questran threads if you mostly have had diarrhea since having your gall bladder removed. About 15% or so of people have diarrhea chronically after having their gall bladder removed. A low-fat diet sometimes eases that, but is has to be consistant.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Removal of the gall-bladder is more likely to be associated with diarrhea afterward than the appendix from what I've heard.OTOH surgery is sometimes associated with the start of IBS AND the appendix is removed usually because of an infection and inflamation and the "friendly fire" that occurs (the immunes system releases many lethal chemicals to kill things and there usually is some damage to your body) has been implicated in causing IBS when it is a overall GI infection.I'm anatomically complete other than having had wisdom teeth and 4 bicuspids removed.The only surgeries I have had have been on my head (fixed the inside of my nose and had my eyes uncrossed).My IBS when it was bad was very severe painwise.Check out the calcium and Questran threads if you mostly have had diarrhea since having your gall bladder removed. About 15% or so of people have diarrhea chronically after having their gall bladder removed. A low-fat diet sometimes eases that, but is has to be consistant.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you replys.I had a total hysterectomy in March of this year. Five months later I start having pain in the lower left abdomen. First Dr. said it could be a pulled muscle. Gave me pain meds. that did nothing. Next Dr. says sound like IBS-D. More meds. Appointment for colonoscopy, mainly because I'm over 50 y/o. neither Dr. said one thing about changin my diet. I did so any way. Guess what. Most of the pain is gone, and I have not had the "D" since either. I bought Heather Van Vorous Book "Eating for IBS." Nice.Going to tell the Drs. The internet is (ibsgroup) better than they are. I got a lot more help from it and don't have to take the pain meds either.Thanks again. Oh by the way, I have been on a low fat/low sodium diet for years. Fish, fowel, fruits and veggies and some juice and cereal are about all I eat.------------------L.B.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for you replys.I had a total hysterectomy in March of this year. Five months later I start having pain in the lower left abdomen. First Dr. said it could be a pulled muscle. Gave me pain meds. that did nothing. Next Dr. says sound like IBS-D. More meds. Appointment for colonoscopy, mainly because I'm over 50 y/o. neither Dr. said one thing about changin my diet. I did so any way. Guess what. Most of the pain is gone, and I have not had the "D" since either. I bought Heather Van Vorous Book "Eating for IBS." Nice.Going to tell the Drs. The internet is (ibsgroup) better than they are. I got a lot more help from it and don't have to take the pain meds either.Thanks again. Oh by the way, I have been on a low fat/low sodium diet for years. Fish, fowel, fruits and veggies and some juice and cereal are about all I eat.------------------L.B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.