Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ate a small red delicious apple yesterday and the results today were awful. It definitely was an Immodium day. Last year I could eat 2 apples a day with no problems, I will try an apple again. Who else has problems with apples?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I don't myself, but I do recall some members having posted they had problems with them.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That is the number 1 thing that will set my IBS off big time...It dont matter if I eat it, drink it, bake with it....I wont even use vinegar if it has apple in it...I have stayed away since last november of apple and havent been in the ER or Doctors office one time...Last year I made 16 + trips to the ER or Doctor and Hospital with D and horrible pain

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought I was the strange one for having trouble with apples - they seem so innocent. I cramp up within about 20 minutes of eating an apple. Haven't had one in awhile though. I bring bananas to work instead, but I am getting bored with them
Miss the apples!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can eat apples only without the peals.I think that the peal makes them hard to digest.I tend to stay away from apples just to be safe.Apple pears are a good alternative and they never cause a problem for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is an old saying, "an apple a day is supposed to keep the Doctor away," anyhow do not believe it. The last 4 years I have made numerous trips to ER or the Doctors office. I have always peeled my apples, funny how I crave what gives me problems.Char

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I have no clue if this has any bearing on the goodness of apples,so this is more of a question than a thought.Years ago I had an aviary. We had a lot of birds.We were always told to take the apple seeds out of the apple before giving an apple treat to the birds. Especially the bigger ones who like bigger seeds.We were told that apple seeds contain enough cyanide to kill a bird.So does anyone know about how the seed cyanide might affect the pulp/meat of the apple and our digestive systems?Kamie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Seeds generally have very hard coats and the stuff in them tends to stay in them, so I doubt it is effecting the flesh of the fruit.More likely the problem with apples is the sorbitol. For some people cooked apple may be better than raw or juice because cooking for the most part will destroy the sorbitol.Pears, Peaches, Plums (prunes--yep there is some basis to the prunes make you go old wives tale thing), Apricots, nectarines also all have sorbitol in them.How much this effects any given person will vary with the individual. AND it may vary from time to time. It is a sum total of your current triggers kind of thing. If you have very little else setting it off you may tolerate more of something then when you are eating other dietary triggers at the same time (sorbitol usually causes problems from increasing the gas you have...so if you ate apples on a day with other gas-producing foods vs not that could make a difference....along with how non-food triggers are effecting you right now).Sorbitol is also used as a food additive, mostly in suger-free candies and gums.K.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I eat apples all the time but I haven't eaten one without peeling it in years. I love the ones you can buy in the frozen food department of the grocery store also. They are pretty sweet but so good. I serve them as a side dish with meats.My doctor recommended pears, canned or fresh. I can eat them too but I have to peel the fresh ones. In fact, I don't eat any fruit with the peel. That is why I have to eat grapes at home so I can "daintily spit" the peels in a napkin. I never eat them in restaurants. I think the peel is what is hard to digest. I do eat raisins though and they don't bother me if I don't eat too many. So go figure. I guess we all are so different. Apple juice doesn't seem to bother me but I really don't like it very much. I think it is too sweet for a drink.
IBS is a confusing condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow! Thats it!!
Couldnt figure out why I was up all night and awful ALL day yesterday!! The day before I made an apple pie from some apples I picked. Never in a million years would I have thought it was the apples! Boy my whole life people have been teying to get me to eat healthy, now I cant even eat apple pie!! LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.