Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since the WTC tragedy, I have been feeling very anxious and edgy. It is affecting my IBS (making it worse than it already is) Anyway, I have been thinking of asking my doctor for an anti-depressant to get me through this. I took Prozac last summer and did not fare well with it. It made me even more anxious an edgy. I saw a commerical on TV for Zoloft and it said one of the side effects is "D", so I starting thinking this drug might help me twofold...help the anxiousness and also help the "C". Are there any other "C" types taking Zoloft and what are your results?------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Rose,I just posted my bad experience with Zoloft, I guess we were typing at the same time! One good thing about it. I did experience a relief of C. Do you ever get "pencil thin stool"? I did, I hate that annoying bs, but the Zoloft did help that along with relief from C. Beware...bleeding is worse! Pain worse too. I feel like I ate a porcupine!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Rose,I just posted my bad experience with Zoloft, I guess we were typing at the same time! One good thing about it. I did experience a relief of C. Do you ever get "pencil thin stool"? I did, I hate that annoying bs, but the Zoloft did help that along with relief from C. Beware...bleeding is worse! Pain worse too. I feel like I ate a porcupine!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Linesse,I just read of your experiences. I am sorry you are having such a bad time. Are you sure the pain and bleeding are from the Zoloft? I don't think I have ever read of those side effects with Zoloft. Hope you feel better soon. Are you going to discontinue the Zoloft?------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Linesse,I just read of your experiences. I am sorry you are having such a bad time. Are you sure the pain and bleeding are from the Zoloft? I don't think I have ever read of those side effects with Zoloft. Hope you feel better soon. Are you going to discontinue the Zoloft?------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Rose,Yes, I'm sure the bleeding is from the Zoloft. I'm not going to take anymore. By the way, Zoloft was not the first choice of my doc..because it can irritate the digestive system. He wanted me to take Buspar, but I am so stubborn, and as I heard, like you, that Z. can cause D., I wanted that. It is good for C. , I must admit.Now, I'll try the Buspar...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Rose,Yes, I'm sure the bleeding is from the Zoloft. I'm not going to take anymore. By the way, Zoloft was not the first choice of my doc..because it can irritate the digestive system. He wanted me to take Buspar, but I am so stubborn, and as I heard, like you, that Z. can cause D., I wanted that. It is good for C. , I must admit.Now, I'll try the Buspar...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Rose,I think all of the SSRIs have D as a possible side effect. The thing with SSRIs is that it is trial and error to find the right one for you. Two patients can have the same exact symptoms and react differently to the SSRI meds. My Dr. says it takes 4 trys on average to match and SSRI with a patient. I was lucky and did well with my first one, but you just have to keep trying with these meds. They are the treatment of choice these days, unless of course you can get to Mexico for Zelmac.I am a D type and am on Zoloft. I found it did not cause side effects at all, except for reduction in sex drive. For this reason I am switching to Celexa. Also, it did not help my IBS or anxiety, but did help with fibromyalgia. AZ

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Rose,I think all of the SSRIs have D as a possible side effect. The thing with SSRIs is that it is trial and error to find the right one for you. Two patients can have the same exact symptoms and react differently to the SSRI meds. My Dr. says it takes 4 trys on average to match and SSRI with a patient. I was lucky and did well with my first one, but you just have to keep trying with these meds. They are the treatment of choice these days, unless of course you can get to Mexico for Zelmac.I am a D type and am on Zoloft. I found it did not cause side effects at all, except for reduction in sex drive. For this reason I am switching to Celexa. Also, it did not help my IBS or anxiety, but did help with fibromyalgia. AZ

G

·
Hi Rose, Sorry to hear you are having a rough go of anxiety. I have been that way since the terrible tragedy of Sept.11 as well. Although I am not on Zoloft....I can't seem to handle the new SSRI's...I am taking Xanax, .25mg. once or twice a day. It helps calm my nerves(panic attack problem) as well as my bowel. I know people warn against Xanax, but hey....all of them have some sort of drawback don't they? Whatever works. Plus, I have Librax for spasms, and that has a tiny bit of Librium in its mix to calm you. Have you tried Librax? Good luck to you and God Bless, Chris

G

·
Hi Rose, Sorry to hear you are having a rough go of anxiety. I have been that way since the terrible tragedy of Sept.11 as well. Although I am not on Zoloft....I can't seem to handle the new SSRI's...I am taking Xanax, .25mg. once or twice a day. It helps calm my nerves(panic attack problem) as well as my bowel. I know people warn against Xanax, but hey....all of them have some sort of drawback don't they? Whatever works. Plus, I have Librax for spasms, and that has a tiny bit of Librium in its mix to calm you. Have you tried Librax? Good luck to you and God Bless, Chris

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well now I am thoroughly confused.
The only SSRI I have tried was Prozac, and I hated the way I felt when I was on it. My doctor kept telling me to give it time to get into my system. I gave 3 months..then had a major anxiety attack with sweats, heart palpatations etc...so I weened myself off it and haven't taken anything since. I admit Zoloft attracted my attention because of the possible "D" side effect, but I certainly don't want any bleeding happening. Maybe I'll just try something like St. John's Wart. I remember taking that a while back and it did seem to calm me down a bit. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well now I am thoroughly confused.
The only SSRI I have tried was Prozac, and I hated the way I felt when I was on it. My doctor kept telling me to give it time to get into my system. I gave 3 months..then had a major anxiety attack with sweats, heart palpatations etc...so I weened myself off it and haven't taken anything since. I admit Zoloft attracted my attention because of the possible "D" side effect, but I certainly don't want any bleeding happening. Maybe I'll just try something like St. John's Wart. I remember taking that a while back and it did seem to calm me down a bit. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been taking Zoloft for about 1 year. It has helped my C a lot with no side effects. It did not cure it by any means, but my bm's are more regular and I don't go DAYS & DAYS in between any more.My opinion is to try it if you want - everyone is different.Mindy

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been taking Zoloft for about 1 year. It has helped my C a lot with no side effects. It did not cure it by any means, but my bm's are more regular and I don't go DAYS & DAYS in between any more.My opinion is to try it if you want - everyone is different.Mindy

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am on Zoloft and I am a C also. Yes it has helped some. by the way Jen S - the Bentyl is probably what is causing your C. I took it once for a few weeks, and man...C in a big way! Who mentioned something about Zoloft stopping the sex drive...you ain't kidding. I can't even achieve an orgasm, and certainly never get horny. I am a woman, so this is a side effect that I'm cool with, for now

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am on Zoloft and I am a C also. Yes it has helped some. by the way Jen S - the Bentyl is probably what is causing your C. I took it once for a few weeks, and man...C in a big way! Who mentioned something about Zoloft stopping the sex drive...you ain't kidding. I can't even achieve an orgasm, and certainly never get horny. I am a woman, so this is a side effect that I'm cool with, for now

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Rose, the best thing for anxiety is the hypnotherapy tapes. I've been able to cut way back on my Klonopin by using the tapes. The SSRI's are tricky. They definitely affect the gut. Sometimes they help people and sometimes they make the IBS worse. Sometimes they cause D and sometimes C. Whatever you do, don't go on the benzos like I did, they are so addictive. My GI had recommended Celexa. I got the prescription, but never did take them. You might want to get your hormones tested. I just had mine done and am going to start taking estrogen and testosterone (my progesterin was very high, which makes people feel anxious and edgy) via a transdermal patch (my doc calls them designer drugs as they are specially formulated to her specifications in a lab -- to the exact dosage I need).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts