Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I am a 24 year old college student and I would really like to work from home part time due to my IBS. Are there any real at home jobs that aren't scams? WHat do you all do to cope with IBS while earning a living?Caltrate helps alot but I still get occasional D.

G

·
I would love to work at home, BUT, it probably wouldn't be a good thing for me. I'd probably never leave the house! I'm trying to not let ibs turn me into a hermit, and believe me, I think that's the way I've been headed. I'm fed up with worrying about going places because I might have an attack. I'm going to do what I want and if I have a problem I'll deal with it. I'm not going to give it such importance anymore. I'm just plain pissed off with the whole ibs #### (pun intended) - except for coming here, this is great for me, and has helped me get to this point. I'm going to keep posting here & looking for good ideas, good cheer and solutions for feeling good. I guess I'm setting myself free and hoping I can keep it going. Thanks everyone!------------------Martha

G

·
i'm with you i would love to work at home you hear about it all the time but how to get started? i know that is what is stoping me (IBS) but i have to get back to work soon.

G

·
I feel the same way as you all do. I had the best job that I had to quit 3 weeks ago. I was working in a office in the evenings with another girl as a dispatcher for a security company. Funny thing was, she also had IBS! One of us was always in the bathroom. but completely understood each other. Now, I am moving back to Ohio with my family and am worried about finding a job like that. I thought about going back to college but am worried about getting sick in class. Is there anyway to get over this terrible feeling?Stick

G

·
Wow, I know how you feel it has been a hard struggle for me to have the confidence to keep going with work but I have and now I have the job I have always been dreaming of - mind you it involves travelling all over the city everyday. Somedays are really scary but I just put my thoughts in to my work and try to forget about my problems. I hope that you find something that you can do at home or the courage to venture out ...... my thoughts are with you!! Keep smiling and laugh lots this helps!!!!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Pekeluvr -Depends on what area of study you are in. I'm in engineering and telecommuting is becoming available in many companies. Of course most of that is software engineeing, if that's an option for you.Ty

G

·
I am about to go back to cleaning houses part-time like I did when I was in high school. There's a big demand, low pay, and maybe I can use the toilet in an emergency. I'm finding several little businesses including the ever present nutrition sales. Actually, I was searching www.cltv.com for info on Waxman hand made candles. They did a one minute blurb on his store and said there was more on their website. Can't find said info.I did find this, www.wahm.com, which is the "work at home moms" site. From there you can find hundreds [?] of links. Click on everything and you'll find more ideas and some success stories. I haven't found a site for work at home dads, but I think there is one for stay at home dads. I was there several months ago. I don't think they were concerned with jobs though.There is a jr. college close by and they have a bulletin board with jobs, which I may look at soon.I do all my computer stuff for free, postcards, a newsletter. There must be a way to make money at it at home. I thought I might get a referral from someone, but no such luck. If you get any good info, post it or mail me. Thanks TB

G

·
Peke-I work at home while attending classes at the local university. My major is in Business Management with an emphasis on International Human Resources. I have become a network distributor for For Mor International who manufacturer's blended herbal products. My business is signing people up as wholesale buyers. This business involves sales and marketing as it requires I talk to people about the products, in person or on the phone. This also gets me out of the house on short marketing trips or meetings with potential members. It takes about 15 minutes to present the compensation plan and another 15 to present the products. I don't consider the business a scam because their literature is reasonably priced, since they have their own in-house print shop, and they have good products. There are no fees to become a member, however it is required to make a minimum purchase of 3 btls per month to remain an active member. There are people that strickly purchase the products and don't want to work the business end, and there are those who just want to do the business, and some who do both.Guess the main point here is... yes, there are businesses out there that are not scams but have bad reputations as an industry on the whole. You have to be persistent and consider every opportunity presented in order to find a product or service you believe in enough to tell other people about it. You also have to know and keep in touch with the company for which you distribute products to keep up with changes (although too many changes is not a good sign).And no, this is not Amway; but, then, Amway is a $94 million dollar a year company.By the way, just look at all these good networkers! Everyone on this board is a networker! Yes you are... you ask questions, give feedback and let the person decide for themselves... true networkers I tell you!
[This message has been edited by Umleila (edited 03-10-99).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do not go into corporate sales. You will get pinned in meetings, stuck in traffic, and have to take clients out to dinner. Seriously, you may have to take a hard look at setting goals for yourself. Consider something like rental property as future income. Make sure you get involved in the stock market. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may have to "deal with work and IBS" now, but set goals to free yourself up for your future. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
PekeluvrI am earning a living from home as a teleworking freelance secretary. I have 5 core clients, and the rest are occasional ones. My clients fax or phone the work (I take shorthand over the phone, but mostly it's handwritten copy), I do it asap (some clients don't mind if I take a day, others must have it by return), then I e-mail the finished product and they can print out from their own screens on their headed notepaper or whatever. If they need hard copy I use a motorcycle courier to deliver it, and they have it within the hour. They are delighted with the service, and most of it is very confidential stuff that they don't want their in-house secretarial staff to read. I'm sure there is a website you can access which will give you information on teleworking opportunities. I also give tuition in wordprocessing and spreadsheet use here at my home, usually to personnel who work for client companies. This pays very well. All in all, I am very happy with my working arrangements, and in fact have more work than I can handle. I frequently get panic-stricken calls from companies who have been let down by secretarial services, and need a mail-shot done YESTERDAY. You can charge more for this type of emergency work: the clients will be so relieved that they'll agree to anything!One word of warning: Teleworking could result in you failing to face up to the challenges of going out into the workplace at all. To avoid this, I do one day a week in a client's office. That way I get to meet people and avoid the danger of lapsing into the agoraphobia which kept me a prisoner in my house for 20 years.I don't know what course you're pursuing in college, but if you have good English, (or are fluent in other languages), can spell and punctuate, word will get around and the work will flow in. Unless you're desperate for money, don't be tempted to do theses: they are time-consuming, and you don't earn much. The regular rate here is approximately $1.50 per page. I've done them as a favour for people, and have lost money by having to turn down other work.Hope this helps you. Let us know how you are getting on. Good luck.------------------Phyllis

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for responding with such great suggestions!
I agree with Martha, ssk,and Phyliis are saying-to avoid letting IBS take over your life. I agree totally. I don't think I do-I go to class, have friends, and do lots of stuff. But since my IBS D is very stress related working where I do now just doesn't seem worth the (stomach) trouble it causes me. It's not what I want to do with my life, just supporting me through school.I am going to check out my options and try to find something I truly enjoy either at home or out and about.Again, thank you for taking the time
ps-I'll let you know TB if I come across something-there's got to be someway to make a living with this dang comp
[This message has been edited by Pekeluvr (edited 03-11-99).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.