Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Are these symptoms of IBS?1.) Sleep interruption causes immediate pain in gut, similar to hunger pangs. Pain gets worse 'til I get up, eat a snack, walk around, etc. Rarely, I can "block it out" and fall back asleep. Pain mysteriously disappears.2.) Abdominal pain/bloating feels like gas and is sometimes relieved by merely passing gas or simply fades away. Defecation isn't necessary for relief.3.) Symptoms disappear for months at a time, but reappear for weeks at a time (e.g., during the holidays).4.) Symptoms are almost exclusive to evenings, from post-dinnertime to breakfast.My doctor suspects I'm suffering from IBS, but I don't know that these symptoms fit the criteria.Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1) The while sleeping pain that is resolved by eating is really not htat typical of IBS. Usually it is stomach pain rather than IBS pain that gets better when you eat something. Eating usually starts the IBS pain not ends it.2) Passing gas is similar in mechanism to why defecation helps IBS pain (basically empties the rectum) so that is IBS-like3) IBS can come and go, stressful times like the holidays may set it off, but then that same stress can trigger symptoms of just about anything.4) Evenings is often when IBS bothers people, but during the night isn't. Around the time you wake up/breakfast is another bothersome time, but usually it isn't thru the night.The problem is not much really screams anything else, and there are atypical presentations of any of the functional bowel disorders (and it could be chronic functional abdominal pain or functional dyspepsia more than the strict definition of IBS, but a lot of doctors do not separate them all out like the researchers do because they basically treat by what symptom bothers you so the label isn't all that important).K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Kathleen!One thing I would like to clarify: There appears to be a surprisingly strong tie between my "midnight episodes" and stress. Again, when something disturbs my sleep -- telephone, spouse, dogs, etc. -- I suffer an immediate "pang." It happens so quickly that, for some time, I thought that the pains were waking me, a la peptic ulcer, etc. I now know that an aggravating wakeup call brings on immediate abdominal pain (sometimes), as if my mental aggravation has a bone fide physical manifestation. From the moment my rest is disturbed, it takes only a fraction of a second.The other odd thing is the types of "comfort foods" that help me (or my stomach) to relax enough for the pains to subside (or to pass gas) and to return to sleep: typically, hot dogs (turkey franks) and soda. I understand that soda pop isn't recommended for anyone with stomach issues, but my Coke habit won't subside, and it DOES feel good! Go figure.Again, thank you for your kind reply. Any additional input is equally appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.