Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this condition on and off since 93, but lately it is a recurring more frequently.........Doctor suggested a colonostmy, but I said no... ( I have a long history withthis doctor, who knows of my psychosomatic problems) I have constipation, bloating, gas, sometimes a little nausea, and pressure in abdomen, sometimes pain on left bowel side., the pressure also seems to make me urinate more...... I am taking clorazepate twice a day. Am redoing my diet, do eat lots of fruits and veggies, am drinking more water, and eating a lot less sugar....All this sounds vry much like the regular signs of IBS, but it is miserable and sometimes I think it could be something even worse...........would be interested in any replies.........ThanksThis particular bout is lasting longer than usual,

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Often if constipation is bad enough to the point they suggest surgery it is more likely to be in the "slow transit constipation" box than the "IBS" box. Usually IBSers have relatively normal transit times and that usually isn't severe enough constipation to start talking about removing the colon. But most of what you describe is not outside the IBS box.Have they done any transit testing? Where you swallos some rings that show up on X-rays and they see how long it takes to move things along.Sometimes in slow transity adding osmotic laxatives like Miralax can help as it keeps the stool wet enough so when the colon does move things along the stool is easy to move. Have you and your doctor talked about anything like that? Sometimes adding too much fiber to the diet if the slow transit constipation is bad enough can make people more uncomfortable so sometimes they actually go lower in fiber with the osmotic laxative route.K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.