Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In November of 1997 I was diagnosed as having IBS at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN, however my symptoms do not match many of those that I have read about on this group and in much of the literature. I often cannot sleep in any position other than on my back without pain. If I try to sleep on my side or stomach the pain gradually builds up to the point where I must move back to my back.Since I have never been able to sleep on my back this leads to some very restless nights. Often I can only get relief if I sleep in my recliner. I frequently feel soreness throughout my abdominal cavity. Quite often I feel as though I have something folded up inside and if I could stretch myself backward enough to unfold it I would feel fine . I used to feel little pain when I was standing or sitting. Recently, however, I have been having significant discomfort and pain while sitting and I can only get relief if I stretch out. Bending, shoveling snow (this is ND !) or any activity that puts pressure on my insides causes pain and soreness. Things like Tums or Prevacid help some but not much. I have had problems with constipation most of my life but have had a few bouts with loose movements. DO THE SYMPTOMS MATCH ANY ONE ELSE�S or should I demand more tests ?------------------L.MurdockGrand Forks,ND

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi lmurdock:I would say that since your symptoms are changing significantly, with more pain and discomfort, you should ask for more tests. Let them know that these are new symptoms. Have you ever been given an antispasmodic or anything for the pain?JeanG

G

·
i have had similar to the conditions you describe but its more severe discomfort than pain...but i agree - no harm in having more testscheersnat

G

·
Hi lmurdockI would tend to agree with Nat and Jean and suggest that you ask for more tests to be carried out. However, like you, since having IBS I have found lying on my side at night to be most uncomfortable, especially my right side for some reason, it sometimes feels as if my colon is solid! Lying on my back is the only way that I can comfortably fall asleep. You can train yourself to sleep on your back - honest! Just experiment with pillows, two may well be too many. Walking can also be uncomfortable for me at times, with this very recent episode I have had it has taken me two weeks to be able to walk like a 'normal' human being!Honestly lmurdock, these past three weeks have revealed to me the importance of getting all the right tests carried out, not only because of my own symptoms, but also reading of peoples experiences on this board. In the past two weeks I have had stool samples and blood tests, and am now awaiting a lower endoscopy. None of it is particularly pleasent, but if it gives you an idea of what you are dealing with, and indicates medications or other treatment that may be of benefit, the end result can only be good - or at the very least a little beter!Andy------------------ http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.