Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh, just needing to gripe. I haven't had an attack in weeks (maybe months!), but the orthopaedic put me on VIOXX for some hip pain and my stomach was so messed up yesterday. I stayed in my pajamas on the sofa all day long
I am starting physical therapy today (including dexamethasone injections) so maybe I can get off the Vioxx soon.

G

·
You have to be really careful about Vioxx, Celebrex, Naproxyn Sodium, etc. I was told Vioxx and Ceebrex would be easier on my stomach than the Naproxyn I take for my arthritis, but that hasn't proved true. There are lots of drugs on the market; if Vioxx bothers you, ask your doctor to switch to something else. And the most important thing I've learned - GET SAMPLES! Don't waste money on an Rx you may have to stop after a couple of days. And if your doctor says he doesn't have samples, ask him to A) get some in the next day or so,
find a fellow doctor who does have some, or C) switch to another med he does have samples of. Most drug reps would rush to the office of a doctor asking for specific samples so they CAN get them for you! Good Luck!

G

·
You have to be really careful about Vioxx, Celebrex, Naproxyn Sodium, etc. I was told Vioxx and Ceebrex would be easier on my stomach than the Naproxyn I take for my arthritis, but that hasn't proved true. There are lots of drugs on the market; if Vioxx bothers you, ask your doctor to switch to something else. And the most important thing I've learned - GET SAMPLES! Don't waste money on an Rx you may have to stop after a couple of days. And if your doctor says he doesn't have samples, ask him to A) get some in the next day or so,
find a fellow doctor who does have some, or C) switch to another med he does have samples of. Most drug reps would rush to the office of a doctor asking for specific samples so they CAN get them for you! Good Luck!

G

·
I have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis in both hands, wrists, my right shoulder and both feet. I was taking 2000 mg of Naproxyn Sodium a day and although it caused gastro distress, it really helped so I kept taking it.Over time, it worked less and less so I switched to Vioxx. It helps (a little) but I cramp shortly after taking it (I've experimented to ensure this was causing the cramps) so I won't get the Rx filled (I was taking samples). I also take Prednisone; terrific for the pain and swelling but has some nasty side effects if you take it long term as I do (my head looks like a basketball from Cushings caused by Prednisone!). I may have to begin Methrotrexate but you shouldn't take this w/out a diagnosis of arthritis. Hope the PT helps you. I recently had some for a knee injury (not arthritis) and I really helped. But I can't stress enough, to you and anyone else who reads this, GET SAMPLES! I am amazed at how many of the so called 'safe' drugs and make my already bad IBS a nightmare! See if you can get some Celebrex samples and let us know how you're doing.------------------Patricia (D-type)'What doesn't kill us makes us stronger'

G

·
I have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis in both hands, wrists, my right shoulder and both feet. I was taking 2000 mg of Naproxyn Sodium a day and although it caused gastro distress, it really helped so I kept taking it.Over time, it worked less and less so I switched to Vioxx. It helps (a little) but I cramp shortly after taking it (I've experimented to ensure this was causing the cramps) so I won't get the Rx filled (I was taking samples). I also take Prednisone; terrific for the pain and swelling but has some nasty side effects if you take it long term as I do (my head looks like a basketball from Cushings caused by Prednisone!). I may have to begin Methrotrexate but you shouldn't take this w/out a diagnosis of arthritis. Hope the PT helps you. I recently had some for a knee injury (not arthritis) and I really helped. But I can't stress enough, to you and anyone else who reads this, GET SAMPLES! I am amazed at how many of the so called 'safe' drugs and make my already bad IBS a nightmare! See if you can get some Celebrex samples and let us know how you're doing.------------------Patricia (D-type)'What doesn't kill us makes us stronger'

G

·
Jen: Vioxx is a strange med. I took it once for foot pain and it worked wonders. The next time the doctor gave it to me it caused terrible stomach pain and heartburn. I have a whole bottle sitting on the shelf in case someone tells my husband he needs it sometime! (He also takes my Pepcid when he needs it because I only take half the recommended dosage the doctor prescribes about 75% of the time! My prescription insurance is much better than his, so why not share, right? OK, OK, I know it is not "Kosher", but we're senior citizens and he is on Medicare and medicine is one of our major expenses.)

G

·
Jen: Vioxx is a strange med. I took it once for foot pain and it worked wonders. The next time the doctor gave it to me it caused terrible stomach pain and heartburn. I have a whole bottle sitting on the shelf in case someone tells my husband he needs it sometime! (He also takes my Pepcid when he needs it because I only take half the recommended dosage the doctor prescribes about 75% of the time! My prescription insurance is much better than his, so why not share, right? OK, OK, I know it is not "Kosher", but we're senior citizens and he is on Medicare and medicine is one of our major expenses.)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems, Jen.Most pharmacies will fill part of a prescription for you, so you can get a couple of days worth and only pay for that, and then if the drug works for you, go back and get the rest of it later. Depending on your insurance coverage, sometimes this doesn't save you money, like if you have a flat fee copay, you might as well get the whole thing. But when I was waiting for my insurance to kick in at my job, I filled a 90-day prescription for Claritin a 3-4 weeks at a time, which was easier to take than paying $100 for the whole thing. But the mail-order place charges me a flat fee, so I get 90 days worth at a time, regardless of whether I've tried the medicine yet.Vioxx made me too sleepy. I tried it once for menstrual cramps (with samples
) and it might have helped the pain a little better than my usual Naproxen, but made me a lot sleepier/loopier. I'm fine with the Naproxen as long as I take it with food every time, but there is a big difference to the gut between taking it 3 days a month and taking it more often.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems, Jen.Most pharmacies will fill part of a prescription for you, so you can get a couple of days worth and only pay for that, and then if the drug works for you, go back and get the rest of it later. Depending on your insurance coverage, sometimes this doesn't save you money, like if you have a flat fee copay, you might as well get the whole thing. But when I was waiting for my insurance to kick in at my job, I filled a 90-day prescription for Claritin a 3-4 weeks at a time, which was easier to take than paying $100 for the whole thing. But the mail-order place charges me a flat fee, so I get 90 days worth at a time, regardless of whether I've tried the medicine yet.Vioxx made me too sleepy. I tried it once for menstrual cramps (with samples
) and it might have helped the pain a little better than my usual Naproxen, but made me a lot sleepier/loopier. I'm fine with the Naproxen as long as I take it with food every time, but there is a big difference to the gut between taking it 3 days a month and taking it more often.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi: Vioxx is a powerful non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that can cause serious gastrointestinal problems (so can prednisone); both of these can cause ulcers; you should take these medications with food; if you continue with gastric distress you should tell your doctor. These medications are nothing to fool with. Good luck

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi: Vioxx is a powerful non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that can cause serious gastrointestinal problems (so can prednisone); both of these can cause ulcers; you should take these medications with food; if you continue with gastric distress you should tell your doctor. These medications are nothing to fool with. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.