Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a senior in high school and I really want a career as an officer in the United States Army. The problem is that I don't know if I could make it through boot camp with my IBS. I know it would act up at the worst times and get me in trouble. I wanted to know if anybody else on here either has gone or knows someone with IBS who has gone to boot camp and made it through and how they managed to do it. Is there any type of medecine that would work for 9 weeks just to get me through boot camp. I have tried an OTC medecine called Equalactin- I don't think I took it correctly and I might try it again- I took the reccommended dosage for one day but it didn't seem to do anything, I might try it for two days in a row. Nobody I know seems to understand my problem and I am sure a drill sargeant would not want to deal with it. I REALLY want to be an officer in the army and the main thing stopping me is IBS. It seems that anytime that I cannot get to a bathroom than that is when I have to go. Especially if I am stressed out. Most times it is not diarrea, mostly I get constipated or I just have to go regular but I cannot hold it because it hurts like hell and it bothers me and I worry about it a lot and the more I worry about it the more it bothers me. If I could just take my mind off of it then I think it wouldn't be as bad because during the weekends if I eat right then sometimes it doesn't bother me at all. I always try to eat right for it and stay away from foods that have bothered me in the past. I also eat right because I am into bodybuilding. The mornings is when it bothers me the most I don't know why. Such as during class at school-mainly in the mornings, I have missed my first bell class at least 10 times this year because of it. It is aggrivating me and I am getting ready to cut my intestines out if I don't find something to stop it very soon. So if anybody has any information about anything that would help me to get through boot camp please tell me. Thanks.

G

·
I don't want to be the one to burst your first bubble, but you need to start with a college degree, not with a high school diploma, to be an officer. So, you still have 4+ more years to go before you need to worry about boot camp.

G

·
I don't want to be the one to burst your first bubble, but you need to start with a college degree, not with a high school diploma, to be an officer. So, you still have 4+ more years to go before you need to worry about boot camp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to let you know, you are not "bursting my bubble" I already know that I need college to become an officer. I don't want to go through college and then not be able to go through boot camp because of this problem I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to let you know, you are not "bursting my bubble" I already know that I need college to become an officer. I don't want to go through college and then not be able to go through boot camp because of this problem I have.

G

·
RRB, I'm not trying to make you mad, really. But, 4+ years is a long time considering the pace of medical technology today. Just go ahead, get your degree, and deal with what happens after that. I hope you're not saying that you don't want to bother with going to college if you can't be sure you'll make it through boot camp. Military service is an admirable goal, but you can make valuable contributions to your country, even if you are never able to join. The Army recruiting slogan really does say it all: "Be all that you can be" whether it's in the Army, or as a scientist, FBI agent, pilot, or anything else you choose to do.

G

·
RRB, I'm not trying to make you mad, really. But, 4+ years is a long time considering the pace of medical technology today. Just go ahead, get your degree, and deal with what happens after that. I hope you're not saying that you don't want to bother with going to college if you can't be sure you'll make it through boot camp. Military service is an admirable goal, but you can make valuable contributions to your country, even if you are never able to join. The Army recruiting slogan really does say it all: "Be all that you can be" whether it's in the Army, or as a scientist, FBI agent, pilot, or anything else you choose to do.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree that you should get your degree regardless of whether you can be in the military. We IBSers have a hard enough time with employment sometimes and you really need that education to back you up. Think about it, which job is easier do with IBS, working on an assembly line or doing physical labor, or working in a skilled job where you can stop to go to the bathroom if you need to and probably make more money while you're at it. These days, the job market can be pretty tight even with a degree...for some occupations you almost have to have graduate school (altho many employers will help pay your way thru grad school in those cases).May I ask what attracts you to a career as an officer in the army? Perhaps you can think of other occupations that would encorporate similar elements...perhaps police work? (and btw just about every civil service exam gives bonus points for being in the military, and many do for a degree as well).Musem is right, 4 years in a long time, and there are some promising IBS drugs on the horizon. You may very well get to be an officer in the army, regardless of your IBS. Are you planning on a lifelong career in the military? If not, you'll need to think of something as a backup/future career anyhow.Personally, boot camp would be sheer hell for me, for more reasons than just IBS. But we did just have a hypothetical thread posted the other day about it... go back a page or two and you'll probably see it. I think it'd be pretty rough. But remember, war is hell as well...I'd be literally crapping my pants in battle quite often, and not because I was scared! Just that IBS-D!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree that you should get your degree regardless of whether you can be in the military. We IBSers have a hard enough time with employment sometimes and you really need that education to back you up. Think about it, which job is easier do with IBS, working on an assembly line or doing physical labor, or working in a skilled job where you can stop to go to the bathroom if you need to and probably make more money while you're at it. These days, the job market can be pretty tight even with a degree...for some occupations you almost have to have graduate school (altho many employers will help pay your way thru grad school in those cases).May I ask what attracts you to a career as an officer in the army? Perhaps you can think of other occupations that would encorporate similar elements...perhaps police work? (and btw just about every civil service exam gives bonus points for being in the military, and many do for a degree as well).Musem is right, 4 years in a long time, and there are some promising IBS drugs on the horizon. You may very well get to be an officer in the army, regardless of your IBS. Are you planning on a lifelong career in the military? If not, you'll need to think of something as a backup/future career anyhow.Personally, boot camp would be sheer hell for me, for more reasons than just IBS. But we did just have a hypothetical thread posted the other day about it... go back a page or two and you'll probably see it. I think it'd be pretty rough. But remember, war is hell as well...I'd be literally crapping my pants in battle quite often, and not because I was scared! Just that IBS-D!

G

·
I am retired Air Force. Spent 21 years and all of it with IBS, and most of that as a recruiter/Instructor. In fact, I was first diagnosed with IBS in the Air Force. I had it before I went in but didnt know it had a name. I think you will find that your system changes while in the new environment. You really dont have time to worry about yourself. Also, you cannot take any meds while in basic training. NONE. If you need meds then you will be medical rejected for service. I think the best course of action is to work on your mindset...maybe even work with a mental health counselor or psychologist. You might be surprised by how much better your IBS would be when you can deal with the anxiety triggers. Its worth a try.

G

·
I am retired Air Force. Spent 21 years and all of it with IBS, and most of that as a recruiter/Instructor. In fact, I was first diagnosed with IBS in the Air Force. I had it before I went in but didnt know it had a name. I think you will find that your system changes while in the new environment. You really dont have time to worry about yourself. Also, you cannot take any meds while in basic training. NONE. If you need meds then you will be medical rejected for service. I think the best course of action is to work on your mindset...maybe even work with a mental health counselor or psychologist. You might be surprised by how much better your IBS would be when you can deal with the anxiety triggers. Its worth a try.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wow, NO meds at all?? What about women, are they allowed to take birth control pills? Some of us take it for benefits other than birth control... like controlling horrible menstrual cramps or heavy bleeding...This topic interests me, and I'm glad someone with military experience chimed in. I think Tim (mxz583) is in the reserves or National Guard... I think it was him that talked about an experience with D in training, but who knows, maybe I'm mixed up and that was willie or someone else!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wow, NO meds at all?? What about women, are they allowed to take birth control pills? Some of us take it for benefits other than birth control... like controlling horrible menstrual cramps or heavy bleeding...This topic interests me, and I'm glad someone with military experience chimed in. I think Tim (mxz583) is in the reserves or National Guard... I think it was him that talked about an experience with D in training, but who knows, maybe I'm mixed up and that was willie or someone else!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was in the Aussie Air Force for 7 years...I had IBS diagnosed whilst there...that was before, when immodium was on prescription, and not OTC..I missed a few parades etc due to the big D..or whilst standing there for periods of time i would feel almost like passing out as my tummy was acting up...Boot camp wasnt too bad...u dont have time to think about it etc...and yes if u are female they give u birth control pills if needed..all be it u get herded like sheep off to the medical section for them
..as for other meds, they are really strict, but if u have D or C im sure u could take something...somehow i got thru boot camp without too much prob in that area..i was just plain accident prone lol....but i always said if i can survive boot camp and 7 years of service, any one can
..Its an experience u will never forget, and one worth it...
..Good luck------------------AussieDeb
quote:In this world we all need humor
aussiecoppin###aol.com

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was in the Aussie Air Force for 7 years...I had IBS diagnosed whilst there...that was before, when immodium was on prescription, and not OTC..I missed a few parades etc due to the big D..or whilst standing there for periods of time i would feel almost like passing out as my tummy was acting up...Boot camp wasnt too bad...u dont have time to think about it etc...and yes if u are female they give u birth control pills if needed..all be it u get herded like sheep off to the medical section for them
..as for other meds, they are really strict, but if u have D or C im sure u could take something...somehow i got thru boot camp without too much prob in that area..i was just plain accident prone lol....but i always said if i can survive boot camp and 7 years of service, any one can
..Its an experience u will never forget, and one worth it...
..Good luck------------------AussieDeb
quote:In this world we all need humor
aussiecoppin###aol.com

G

·
Yeah, there are a few medications that may be allowed, but they are few and far between. I think BC pills may be allowed for a few, but not for the obvious reasons.You have to look at it like this, you can't rely on medications to maintain your health on a regular basis due to the diversity of assignments. You may well be serving in field conditions where there are no pharmacies and others lives depend on you being healthy. You can't even have braces on your teeth... Also, if you have a history of severe PMS or other menstrual irregularities,this can be and often is a disqualifing medical condition. So is chronic C and/or D. You wouldnt believe the things that will prevent you from being accepted for the military. A career in the military is unlike anything else you can do...you surely don't do it for the money. And it is also not like being a cop or any other service occupations I can think of. The military today is very education minded and you cannot advance to the higher enlisted ranks without college....and of course, you cannot become an officer without a degree, and as is the case with the Air Force, that degree has to be in a field that is in demand. Plus, your GPA has to be quite good. Add to all of this the fact that you can not be doing, or have done drugs, have any law violation history beyond a few traffic tickets at most , be financially responsible and be of good moral character. It is,in short, a much more demanding career area than most. But it is a most honorable choice for a career. [This message has been edited by 4willieC (edited 10-27-2001).][This message has been edited by 4willieC (edited 10-27-2001).]

G

·
Yeah, there are a few medications that may be allowed, but they are few and far between. I think BC pills may be allowed for a few, but not for the obvious reasons.You have to look at it like this, you can't rely on medications to maintain your health on a regular basis due to the diversity of assignments. You may well be serving in field conditions where there are no pharmacies and others lives depend on you being healthy. You can't even have braces on your teeth... Also, if you have a history of severe PMS or other menstrual irregularities,this can be and often is a disqualifing medical condition. So is chronic C and/or D. You wouldnt believe the things that will prevent you from being accepted for the military. A career in the military is unlike anything else you can do...you surely don't do it for the money. And it is also not like being a cop or any other service occupations I can think of. The military today is very education minded and you cannot advance to the higher enlisted ranks without college....and of course, you cannot become an officer without a degree, and as is the case with the Air Force, that degree has to be in a field that is in demand. Plus, your GPA has to be quite good. Add to all of this the fact that you can not be doing, or have done drugs, have any law violation history beyond a few traffic tickets at most , be financially responsible and be of good moral character. It is,in short, a much more demanding career area than most. But it is a most honorable choice for a career. [This message has been edited by 4willieC (edited 10-27-2001).][This message has been edited by 4willieC (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wonder if IBS D or C and/or need to be on medication would be disqualifying factors if they bring the draft back. I seem to remember during the Vietnam war that, if you were breathing (and not a student), that was good enough.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wonder if IBS D or C and/or need to be on medication would be disqualifying factors if they bring the draft back. I seem to remember during the Vietnam war that, if you were breathing (and not a student), that was good enough.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dude, I feel your pain. Here is my magic potion. Hope it works for you. BTW, taking equalactin only one day will not do much. It acts by absorbing water in your gut and so you need to take it every day. Take these every morning and see what happens:2 immodium tablets4 equalactin or fibercon (fibercon worked better for me)3 600 mg of calcium carbonateAlso, cut way back on sugar. Hope it helps. Email if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.