Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, as one gets older, does the symptoms of IBS stay the same, get worse, or what? Especially for a woman who will go thru menopause and those kinds of hormonal changes.Anyone know?

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's only ONE answer to that question: there is NO answer.In other words, it depends from person to person as to what turn their IBS will take. I think that the only certain thing is: it will never completely go away

·
Registered
350 Posts
According to what I've read and what my doctor told me, as IBS patients age their symptoms tend to become less problematic. Meaning that in some instances the symptoms decrease or go away, and in some the patient becomes more adept at handling them. I look forward to aging because for me the biggest challenge of IBS is work, and aging means retiring!

·
Registered
597 Posts
As I age I've gotten worse. But I'm sure everyone's different. I used to say when I start feeling better I'll be able to do this or that again. Now I'm having to take a serious look into disability but I know that won't be easy. For instance how can I make an appointment and get there on time to even get the disability? Are they even open after 5 pm? Because I really can't schedule anything before that time.LouLouP.S. I'm hoping it gets better for you!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Try starting at the ssi web page. I think much of the process can be done without making an appointment to go in. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/ has the forms and such. I think they are capable of dealing with people who are too disabled to get to the office
Looking around on the site it appears you can apply on-line or via the phone. There is no standard path with IBS. So while some people may get worse with age is it not the pattern that all people with IBS follow.More typically people get better at handling it over time so they tend to have fewer problems. IBS also has a low but significant remission rate so some people do get all better after a time.K.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I've been told that IBS tends to get worse for women until menopause and then it gets better (hormones are somehow involved with IBS, but no one knows exactly how). However, that's taking an average across women. If you figure out how to control your IBS, you may actually feel better as you get older. That's an individual thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.