Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the BB for the last three weeks--things were almost normal--couldn't believe my luck. Then this week my asthma came from the brush fires we were having in South Florida. The dr put me on prednisone and I used my albuterol inhaler. Ugh! my stools are in havoc again with some D and skinny stools. Cramps too. Anyone else take asthma drugs and have their IBS flare??? Any info will help.Thanks,Tania

G

·
Hi Tanial,I also take prednisone and use albuterol inhaler for asthma. I have also been taking allergy shots twice a week since March,2001. I have not had albuterol start a flare up of D. The prednisone has actually helped me with my allergys and I have less problems with my sinus when I'm on prednisone. Have you tried any new food's or spicy food. I find that spicy foods get me started. hope this helps.Patricia ------------------[This message has been edited by PMG (edited 06-23-2001).]

G

·
Hi Tanial,I also take prednisone and use albuterol inhaler for asthma. I have also been taking allergy shots twice a week since March,2001. I have not had albuterol start a flare up of D. The prednisone has actually helped me with my allergys and I have less problems with my sinus when I'm on prednisone. Have you tried any new food's or spicy food. I find that spicy foods get me started. hope this helps.Patricia ------------------[This message has been edited by PMG (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
WHEEZIE TANIA:The prednisone can attenuate the reactivity of your cellular and humoral systems to provoking foods or chemicals and in this way reduce your d-symptoms. However, on a dose dependent basis which varies from person to person the Albuterol could (as an adrenergic) stimulate your bowel smooth muscle, BUT it is pretty beta-2 receptor selective (much more so than older sympathomimetics) and it's more common to suffer nausea than diarrhea from it.Sometimes what happens, which people mistake for the drug effect, is that they have a food cross-reaction they are not aware of. Quite a few inhalants have associated foods to which the person can cross-react, and not just systemically by aggravating their asthma. The damn mast cells of the small bowel unfortunately work very much the same as the ones in the bronchial walls and a cross-sensitivity can result in some bowel trouble as well.Do you have Dr. B's book ?BOOK http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Check appendix 4 for possible cross-reactivities (inhalants matched to foods) and try to keep them out of the diet and see if it helps.Short of that symptomatic relief temporarily with Immodium until you restabilize should not be problematic.Let us know how you are doing later.MNL______________ www.leapallergy.com You can take temporary antidiarrheal steps which can offset this (such as Immodium) until the asthma stabilizes and you can reduce you bronchodilator use.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
WHEEZIE TANIA:The prednisone can attenuate the reactivity of your cellular and humoral systems to provoking foods or chemicals and in this way reduce your d-symptoms. However, on a dose dependent basis which varies from person to person the Albuterol could (as an adrenergic) stimulate your bowel smooth muscle, BUT it is pretty beta-2 receptor selective (much more so than older sympathomimetics) and it's more common to suffer nausea than diarrhea from it.Sometimes what happens, which people mistake for the drug effect, is that they have a food cross-reaction they are not aware of. Quite a few inhalants have associated foods to which the person can cross-react, and not just systemically by aggravating their asthma. The damn mast cells of the small bowel unfortunately work very much the same as the ones in the bronchial walls and a cross-sensitivity can result in some bowel trouble as well.Do you have Dr. B's book ?BOOK http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Check appendix 4 for possible cross-reactivities (inhalants matched to foods) and try to keep them out of the diet and see if it helps.Short of that symptomatic relief temporarily with Immodium until you restabilize should not be problematic.Let us know how you are doing later.MNL______________ www.leapallergy.com You can take temporary antidiarrheal steps which can offset this (such as Immodium) until the asthma stabilizes and you can reduce you bronchodilator use.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to think of it--now--I'm not sure if it was the asthma meds or the fruits I was eating to counteract the loss of minerals when I take prednisone. I've been following my LEAP diet pretty good, finding that I can eat the vegetables because they are steamed but when I eat more than one fruit a day--the D comes back. Probably overloaded the system. Anyone know if wheat causes asthma--I'm sensitive to it and trying to take it out of my diet--not a real easy task but working on it. Thanks for the posts--you guys always come through for me. And I must say--Mike--my IBS has gotten much better following the LEAP and going off Prevacid. Tania

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to think of it--now--I'm not sure if it was the asthma meds or the fruits I was eating to counteract the loss of minerals when I take prednisone. I've been following my LEAP diet pretty good, finding that I can eat the vegetables because they are steamed but when I eat more than one fruit a day--the D comes back. Probably overloaded the system. Anyone know if wheat causes asthma--I'm sensitive to it and trying to take it out of my diet--not a real easy task but working on it. Thanks for the posts--you guys always come through for me. And I must say--Mike--my IBS has gotten much better following the LEAP and going off Prevacid. Tania

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.