Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this board. In fact, I'm new to boards in general, but I am literally distressed, at the end of my rope, and don't know what to do. When I was in my early 20s, I would go weeks being constipated, and then have bouts of severe diarrhea, to where I was bleeding and light headed. It was horrible. I never knew when one of my "episodes" were going to strike. I finally went to the doctor at the urging of my husband and mother. They ran a couple of test to make sure I didn't have a parasite, and then scheduled me for a colonoscopy. The only thing that came of all of that...my doctor told me, "You don't have cancer, we didn't see any polyps. You have IBS, and you should watch your diet and see what irritates you and causes your flare ups." REALLY, DUDE?? That's it? It's not like I haven't tried EVERYTHING already. I have no pattern to what caused my flare ups. I learned to just deal. I had some really humbling moments, but I dealt. My pride totally went out the door. I have no shame anymore when it comes to "poop" issues, because my friends and family have had to deal with me for so long.Fast forward a few years. Now I'm 30. I have chronic constipation. But the "episodes" never come. I will go 2-3 weeks with no pooping activity. I don't even get an urge to go. It's like my stomach doesn't "move." It's horrible. Under my belly button and my rib cage throb and have random stabbing pains. I'm not a skinny girl, I am 5'4" and weigh 125 pounds, but I'm not a big girl at all. That is, until I don't go to the bathroom for 2-3 weeks and my stomach literally bloats out like a pregnant person and is hard. After a few weeks, I usually resort to taking a laxative to go. Sometimes that doesn't even work. When it does, my stomach flattens back out, and the cycle starts all over again. I am at a loss at what to do.I've tried diets, water, exercising extra long, eating extra fiber (it only cause fullness and gas), and I just do not know what to do. Is this just my life? Is this how it will always be??? I am miserable, and the thought of living like this for another 60- 70 years makes me so sad. What to do?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I think if you didn't wait til you haven't gone in 2-3 weeks to use a laxative.. you would not be havign as much trouble.This probably needs to be treated daily. Have you tried using something daily...like stool softeners, prune juice, Magnesium Supplments, Flax seeds, etc??? Things like that on a daily basis may prevent this cycle.Here I will point you to another thread that has MUCH good info in it. It also has links to tanother thread with more info. I found Kathleens response on this thread very good.So here have a read and see if this helps you. Just click here:http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=119795

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestions, and pointing me to those threads.I have tried prune juice and stool softeners on a daily basis. That does nothing. I haven't tried the magnesium supplements though. Honestly, I "feel" like it has something to do with my bowels not moving. I just don't have any urges to go. I know as a kid my mom would give me mineral oil, enemas, ex lax, because I would go long periods of time without using the bathroom even then. Is it something that is just malfunctioning with me?I need to make another doctor's appointment, but honestly having another doctor who is flippant and doesn't seem to take my problem seriously is not making me want to go. This is a serious problem for me, and I need for a doctor to take me seriously.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Ocean Chick,I was in worse shape than you. Nothing was working and they were ready to remove my colon due to my severe constipation after endless repeated rounds of trying everything with no success. Generic miralax didn't work very well for me. Brand name Miralax has been my savior. I have to take two doses a day. I can now need a normal life....something I thought was never possible. I wish the same for you. Good luck.Stacey

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
OC Definitely find another Dr that WILL take you seriously. Not feeling the urge is probably akin to D folksfeeling like they need to go all the time. Still could be IBS.. BUT perhaps having someone check out your pelvic floor muscles would be good to rule out any problems there as well.But when I go into a new Dr.. in essence I always feel like I am interviewing them for the job of my Dr. And some... don't get hired... trust me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Oceanchick,Are you keeping track of foods that you are eating with a food diary or do you know exactly what foods are setting these episodes off? I have to avoid certain foods like the plague or they can cause my IBS-C to flare up for weeks. Any type of nut or nut butter does this for me. I also avoid dairy products too. I feel for you because this is terrible to deal with but a strict diet saves me a lot of grief. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't pinpoint any foods. It is pretty much a constant thing. My stomach just isn't "moving" and it's killing me. I'm calling Kaiser on Monday and hoping to get in with a doctor that cares. I'm going to right down EVERYTHING I've been through in the last 10 years, and hopefully, they can figure something out. If a strict diet helped, I'd be all about it. At this point, I'm not able to eat much of anything, because I feel so full so fast because I stay so bloated. I'll let you know what happens with Kaiser this week. Hopefully, I can find some help, after struggling for someone to listen to me for over 10 years now

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like slow transit constipation (may need to do a sitz marker test to confirm, you take capsules with little rings that pass easily through the body but show up on X-rays then they snap an X-ray to see where they are). Usually they go with a low residue diet (as like you said 2 weeks of fiber in there is not comfortable) with fairly high doses of osmotic laxatives every day to keep things wet enough to move.Also if you get a lot of stomach fullness you may need to be checked for gastroparesis. They do a test where you eat meal with a small amount of low dose radioactive material in it and they can track how long it takes for things to come out.I would definitely see if they are willing to do some testing to see what is going on, that will help make decisions about what to try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.