Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have D as a side effect? I'm wondering if it's the pill or the spicy hamburger (and candy) I just ate. I'm going to assume it's the food- it started about 10 min. after the candy/dinner, but just wanted to check.Tonight is my second night trying it- the first time I didn't have anything bad. But tonight I got a flash of anxiety right after I took the pill but now I seem to be calming down. Anyone know how long before it finally kicks in?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ativan takes 20 to 30 minutes to have an effect. Before IBS went into remission I would take 2 Ativan at the first onset of symptoms and I would be fine within 1/2 hour. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose if its not working for you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ativan takes 20 to 30 minutes to have an effect. Before IBS went into remission I would take 2 Ativan at the first onset of symptoms and I would be fine within 1/2 hour. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose if its not working for you.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, to be honest, I don't think it did very much. I wasn't really in an agitated state last night (until about 2 seconds after I took the pill- but only for a few minutes) anyway. The Benadryl I have works much better- sometimes I take half a benadryl before bed and I'm pretty normal the next day (meaning no anxiety popping out of nowhere). I don't know! *sigh*

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, to be honest, I don't think it did very much. I wasn't really in an agitated state last night (until about 2 seconds after I took the pill- but only for a few minutes) anyway. The Benadryl I have works much better- sometimes I take half a benadryl before bed and I'm pretty normal the next day (meaning no anxiety popping out of nowhere). I don't know! *sigh*

·
Registered
350 Posts
I guess different things work for different people. You're probably better off not taking Ativan. I didn't take it very long, but my ex-b/f took it for anxiety and I think he got hooked. I would watch him take 6 or 7 pills at once and then drop. Fortunatley, his prescription ran out and the Dr. wouldn't give him anymore. Hmmmm...now that I think about it, this is the same time our relationship hit the skids. The withdrawal turned him into a completely different person

·
Registered
350 Posts
I guess different things work for different people. You're probably better off not taking Ativan. I didn't take it very long, but my ex-b/f took it for anxiety and I think he got hooked. I would watch him take 6 or 7 pills at once and then drop. Fortunatley, his prescription ran out and the Dr. wouldn't give him anymore. Hmmmm...now that I think about it, this is the same time our relationship hit the skids. The withdrawal turned him into a completely different person

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been taking ativan for 13 years to help get me to sleep with Gi discomfort. Now I'm in the process of weaning myself off of it and it's been very hard. I don't recommend taking it for any extended period of time, especially on a daily basis. best of luck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been taking ativan for 13 years to help get me to sleep with Gi discomfort. Now I'm in the process of weaning myself off of it and it's been very hard. I don't recommend taking it for any extended period of time, especially on a daily basis. best of luck.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should I tell the doctor it didn't do much? He kinda told me to stay off the hydroxyzine (Benadryl) but it just works perfectly when I take half of one- I am not anxious, but I don't get sleepy either.I'm not sure what his reason for trying to stay away from the hydroxyzine is except maybe that it makes me so sleepy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should I tell the doctor it didn't do much? He kinda told me to stay off the hydroxyzine (Benadryl) but it just works perfectly when I take half of one- I am not anxious, but I don't get sleepy either.I'm not sure what his reason for trying to stay away from the hydroxyzine is except maybe that it makes me so sleepy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts