Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc prescribed ativan. Felt it may relax my stomach and reduce belching. I am on the smallest dose and feel like a zombie. This is a hangover effect since I took the drug last night. Anyone have any experience with this med and its side effects? I appreciate any responses.Pete

G

·
Hi Pete,Yes, I have taken ativan for years.You do get used to it and that "hang-over"feeling does go away the more timeyour body gets accustomed to the drug.I don't take it any more but I do havea bottle of ativan ALWAYS in my pursefor emergencies.Actually I'm on klonopin now...a longer acting benzo.Ativan is shorter acting.Hold tight Pete...you'll feel better soon!
p.s. I used to take those tiny .5 mg pills and cut them in half. That might help you to start off at a much lower dose.
[This message has been edited by pokee (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Pete, I take ativan only as needed which ends up being 1-2 times a week. I, too, break a pill in half. It does make me feel drugged but I don't mind the feeling. It feels like a calm feeling compared to how I usually am. Some people don't like it. Everyone's different. Maybe you could try something else.------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Pete, I take ativan only as needed which ends up being 1-2 times a week. I, too, break a pill in half. It does make me feel drugged but I don't mind the feeling. It feels like a calm feeling compared to how I usually am. Some people don't like it. Everyone's different. Maybe you could try something else.------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Even though you feel calmer/drugged, keep an eye on how you are functioning in your work, relationships,etc. My experience with Ativan was very bad.Some people find it helpful. For short-term help with the stress part of ibs,if you doctor permits it, a low dose of a mild sedative, or even two over the counter benadryl, before bed can make a big difference in how you feel the next day.Hope you find what you need. Longterm, CBT might be better for the stress aspect though. (just my two cents).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Even though you feel calmer/drugged, keep an eye on how you are functioning in your work, relationships,etc. My experience with Ativan was very bad.Some people find it helpful. For short-term help with the stress part of ibs,if you doctor permits it, a low dose of a mild sedative, or even two over the counter benadryl, before bed can make a big difference in how you feel the next day.Hope you find what you need. Longterm, CBT might be better for the stress aspect though. (just my two cents).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Pete M
Ativan was prescribed for my IBS nerves, interestingly enuf, it also helps with my delayed gastric emptying "nausea" to a degree. Its very relaxing at the 1.0mg dosage (Ive graduated from the .5mg
) which I take a few times a week over the past month. I understand the "zombie'ish" side effect, hence, the .5mg provides me w/minimally adequate effects (wo feeling like a zombie) My body has adjusted to the .5mg dose in just a few weeks. Concerned with long term consumption, esp at 1mg dose, I will do so sparingly and cautiously. Tho I am a little scared because I am able to drive while on 1mg. Pete, Q? for u & the others, is Ativan at the dosage you take effective in treating your symptoms? & are you able to function daily (work, drive etc...) while on this medication?Take Care everyone
Lisa K

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Pete M
Ativan was prescribed for my IBS nerves, interestingly enuf, it also helps with my delayed gastric emptying "nausea" to a degree. Its very relaxing at the 1.0mg dosage (Ive graduated from the .5mg
) which I take a few times a week over the past month. I understand the "zombie'ish" side effect, hence, the .5mg provides me w/minimally adequate effects (wo feeling like a zombie) My body has adjusted to the .5mg dose in just a few weeks. Concerned with long term consumption, esp at 1mg dose, I will do so sparingly and cautiously. Tho I am a little scared because I am able to drive while on 1mg. Pete, Q? for u & the others, is Ativan at the dosage you take effective in treating your symptoms? & are you able to function daily (work, drive etc...) while on this medication?Take Care everyone
Lisa K

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi PeteI have been on attivan for years, primarily due to insomnia. What I have noticed with my IBS-C/D is that I am relaxed in general, so I don't worry about being sick. Unfortunately this medication is very addicting mentaly. You become very used to not worrying about being sick. You might want to thinl abot a medication called amitryptaline (SP)?. My GI had put me on it a couple of years ago and it really helped with my IBS. Good Luck.Ces

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi PeteI have been on attivan for years, primarily due to insomnia. What I have noticed with my IBS-C/D is that I am relaxed in general, so I don't worry about being sick. Unfortunately this medication is very addicting mentaly. You become very used to not worrying about being sick. You might want to thinl abot a medication called amitryptaline (SP)?. My GI had put me on it a couple of years ago and it really helped with my IBS. Good Luck.Ces

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.