Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Atypical Symptoms - palpitations, waking up at night

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rmiller1985 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I'm a 29 year old female who has dealt with IBS for years. I deal with the frequent urge to go, as well as diarhea. I also have some other symptoms which I was wondering if anyone else had.

Often before I have the strong urge to go (or an "attack" as I like to call it), I often get heart palpitations. I have been to a cardiologist for these, and he has said these are harmless PVC's.

Also, over the past year or so I've noticed that I've often woken up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach, as well as feeling overheated and sweating. I also sometimes get heart palpitations along with these other symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this?

Thank you so much for any response.

#2 ·
Hi BVMH14,

I also get PVCs, though I don't remember ever noticing them during an IBS-D attack. It's not hard for me to imagine that if you're prone to them to begin with, an attack of diarrhea could set them off, as clearly there is something "traumatic" going on internally.

Coincidentally, I recently had an experience that would seem to confirm this. I went in for a routine blood draw that was for several different tests, and the phlebotomist drew 5 vials. By the third I was starting to feel ooky, and I actually passed out during or after the fifth (I've felt nauseous before during blood draws, but never passed out). When I came to I was very nauseous, and vomited. I stayed nauseous and continued to heave for the entire rest of the day (which really surprised me!), and I noticed in the middle of the day that immediately after a heaving session my heart rhythm was all over the place. I expect this was similarly just due to the internal trauma, although I'm still surprised that that "trauma" was initiated by a simple needle stick.

I used to be quite warm at night. I suspect now that that was due in part to continual internal inflammation from my inability to digest complex carbohydrates completely, which was apparently stressing my appendix. When I had my appendectomy, the surgeon told me that there was a lot of adhesion in the area, a sign of inflammation. I wouldn't be surprised if your nighttime overheating was related to some sort of overactivity in your gut.

Have you considered a dietary change? I've had a lot of success on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Cheers,

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.