Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,Im wanting to start up a support group her in Western Australia and was wondering if thre was any other Aussies here on the BB?Ive been here a while and I think myself and Screamer are the only Aussies but it would be nice if there were more.I think I may have to put an ad in the paper or something.Hope to hear from any other fellow AussiesPoo Pea

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I put a post in here a while back asking the same thing and got no bites what so ever
Other than us I know Snakeoil is an Aussie but I think we're pretty much it. If I lived a bit closer I'd love to start a group with you. Might be a bit of a long flight every time we had to meet up though, lol. Good luck, let me know how you're going with it!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There are nath, gilly and overkill, but don't know what states they are all from.And I've been over often enough to be an honorary Ozzie.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah us IBS Aussies are few and far between.Arnie we would love to adopt you as an honourary Aussie lol.Screamer - Do you think there woudl be much demand fro a IBS support group in Australia?Poo Pea

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Poo I know there is some demand for it. There is a support group who call themselves IBIS. I'll put the link in at the end. I called them once, it costs about $30 a year to join and they send out newsletters and stuff. They also have support groups, they may have one or some in your area if you call them. I called them last about a year ago but most of the groups at that time were in Sydney and I'm not driving 4 hours for a meeting-lol. But I do call them from time to time to see if anything local has happened. They can also help you get meetings started in your area if you want them to. As for the newsletter, they sent me an old issue, it looked pretty good but didn't have anything in it that I hadn't read on the net so I ended up not joining but you might like to have a look see: http://www.ibis-australia.org/ I've thought about starting one but to be honest with the kids and all I just don't have the time to keep one up and running at the moment. Maybe in the future though I will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Aussies,I'm from the great land downunder as well ! I'm based in Sydney though... i've just joined these boards in the last couple of weeks.Shelley x

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey Im Aussie!!I didnt think there was many of us!!! Im from sydney thou, but I would definatly be interested in some sort of a support group!!I think there would be a demand for it ti, because I am always surprised with the amount of people I come across with the same problem!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am another Aussie, also from Sydney.Lovely to see some Australians on here. I am willing to chat or be a penpal for any other Aussies looking for one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Riayn, I am also from Sydney Australia, and would love to be in touch with other Australians.I was original from Melbourne but left there in 1970.I dont mind if i chat,email or penfriend, though i am 58years old i am a young person, and dont mind what age, or male or female.My husband passed away from rectum cancer in January,this year and as we kept to ourselves i am very lonely as i dont have any friends or family other than my daughter from a previous marriage who has her own life and boyfriend so i dont hear from her that often.I am also in a lot of pain probably the stess from my husband passing on, as i have never lived alone before, and also i find that most foods,fruit/etc give me pain, whatever i try to eat.Hoping to hear from everyone, and i would definitely be interested in a support group, even if just email does not matter where it is in australia.I will be overseas in july,2007 back to usa for a vist though.Walk in peaceRunningWater (Annette)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm an Aussie too, from Brisbane.Runningwater, I'm a "young" oldie too. I'm sorry to hear about your husband passing away. You'll find a lot of support and friendship here. If you're lonely do you have the U3A where you are? Courses are usually short, about an hour or so, and they can help take your mind of things.Nice to see so many Aussies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm an Aussie too, from Brisbane.Runningwater, I'm a "young" oldie too. I'm sorry to hear about your husband passing away. You'll find a lot of support and friendship here. If you're lonely do you have the U3A where you are? Courses are usually short, about an hour or so, and they can help take your mind of things.Nice to see so many Aussies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Tummyrubbles,Not sure if there is that group aroundI am mostly lonely not during the day as i am on the computer talking to my friends in usa, it is when they are in bed which is about 3pm and on i get very lonely, and the public transport is now not good where i live as they have cut out buses and only 1 bus one hour.I mostly lonely when i first wake up around 4am in the morning when i cannot get back to sleep and when i get up and also when i watch tv at night time and go to bed.As i said previously i also had my parents earlier on in life, and then got married so never been alone before.I am going to usa for six months in july,07 for six months but i am worried when i get back i will be in the same position.What part of queensland are you from, i stayed at caboolture that is where my husband oldest son lives.I also lived in surfers paradise in the 1969/70 on chervon island with my parents.Walk in peaceSweetgrass(runningwater)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know what you mean about talking on the computer. I do too much of and I'm trying wean myself off it a bit. Are you on the outskirts of Sydney? I lived there a while a long time ago. I'm about an hour away from Caboolture, and I don't see Surfers much anymore. It's changed a lot since I used to go there a lot when I was a teenager. Chevron Island is very pretty and one of my aunts lives there as well.I mentioned the U3A because when Dad died Mum took it pretty bad and eventually she started going out again, and she loves the U3A now. They have different courses like genealogy, history, etc and it's completely informal. The main thing is it gets you out of the house and doing things. Anyway good luck with your trip and I'll probably see you around these forums.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I know what you mean about talking on the computer. I do too much of and I'm trying wean myself off it a bit. Are you on the outskirts of Sydney? I lived there a while a long time ago. I'm about an hour away from Caboolture, and I don't see Surfers much anymore. It's changed a lot since I used to go there a lot when I was a teenager. Chevron Island is very pretty and one of my aunts lives there as well.I mentioned the U3A because when Dad died Mum took it pretty bad and eventually she started going out again, and she loves the U3A now. They have different courses like genealogy, history, etc and it's completely informal. The main thing is it gets you out of the house and doing things. Anyway good luck with your trip and I'll probably see you around these forums.
I have a tendency to natter on the computer too much too! Anyway, just thought I'd show my face in here (yup, it's still around after all this time!)
I had no idea there were so many Aussies on the boards! It's good to see!ETA: Well not good that you have IBS, but good that you found us, sheesh, I'll now extract both feet from my mouth shall I?!?!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I talk more to people on the computer than in real life sometimes. I'm thinking of joining the U3A myself, just to get out of the house more!No, it is good to see a lot of Aussies here. I know what you mean.
Me too
I think I have more of an internet social life than a real one (at least my toilets near by when I'm on the computer
)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts