Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today before I read this post, I was searching kefir on the internet, and I found a network of people that share authentic kefir grains. I am trying to contact a person that is about an hour away.I will try the lifeway kefir brand, just in case. I am kind of paranoid about the commercial brands though, becuase they all have sugar, and I think sugar is a big part of my stinky problem. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you try the Lifeway brand, you may want the plain (original flavor). You can always flavor it yourself. The flavored versions will either contain High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Fructooligosaccharides (FOS). I try to avoid both of these ingredients in anyhing I eat. The FOS, in particular, can cause gas and bloat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
id never drink anything but the plain. im not worried about the authenticity, since commercial kefir is probably just less potent then the kefir you make yourself. what id be concerned about is antibiotics, hormones and pesticides. but the side effects of those would pale in comparison to the positive effects of the good bacteria, and would probably be erased with proper exercise(yoga asanas/pelvis floor exercies)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
You drink raw eggs? Did you know that one out of 2000 eggs has salmonella (bacteria) in it?Something I learned when a local resturant served turkey dressing and a lot of people got sick from the undone eggs that it contained

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perico, this is the same site I found to locate people with kefir grains.I mailed a check to someone, and I am still waiting for my grains. Thanks for taking notice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, I would like some info about these kefir grains.Is it a probiotic? Can I use regular milk if I can't tolerate diary or soymilk? Does it cause gas, because I already have excess gas. And what are the health benefits of kefir?thanks, sorry for all the questions.Bluedonna

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bluedonna, supposedly kefir is a natural probiotic. When you put the grains in milk, they convert the lactose so that you won't have gas, at least from lactose, and they add the good bacteria that is suppose to populate your intestine.I read somewhere that goats milk is easier for the body to tolerate to begin with, but maybe regular milk works just as well.This is the website where I learned about it. http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html I think the previous two limks posted are ones that I used as well, and you might be able to get to them through this link I posted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry for my late response. I am now drinking kefir as well and I have to say it helps better than Zelnorm or any other drugs. I wish I would have known earlier. You can also buy kefir grains on Ebay but I have never done it before. I just saw it while browsing. Thanks to everyone who recommended kefir and probiotics. It's a great and I do feel an improvement.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Goat milk is worst than the milk for IBS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.