Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on quite a few supplements, as well as a pro biotic, so my system has been very gassy the past couple months. The odor is awful, and i end up in the bathroom half the day trying to pass the gas and then mask it with a deoderizer. Is there any home remedy i can take away the terrible smell? I thought i read at some point apple cidar vinegar helped with gas odor?? I think its worse from the oil of oregano that i am taking right now, ive read that as the oregano kills off bad bacteria, yeast, parasites, etc it can cause bad gas and lots of access stool.HELP!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you tend to softer or looser stools (or it doesn't make the constipation worse) one of the few things with a clinical study shown to reduce odor is pepto bismol.Some other bismuth containing compounds are also sold for deodorizing ostomy bags and Devron is one brand name of that. It is the bismuth that makes the pepto work.the clinical study used 8 tablets a day for something like 6-8 weeks. If you use more than that (or even if you take 8 a day regularly) you may want to occasionally take a holiday from the pepto as bismuth can sometimes build up over time. It takes a lot, over a long time, but having a day or two to flush it out every so often probably isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you tend to softer or looser stools (or it doesn't make the constipation worse) one of the few things with a clinical study shown to reduce odor is pepto bismol.Some other bismuth containing compounds are also sold for deodorizing ostomy bags and Devron is one brand name of that. It is the bismuth that makes the pepto work.the clinical study used 8 tablets a day for something like 6-8 weeks. If you use more than that (or even if you take 8 a day regularly) you may want to occasionally take a holiday from the pepto as bismuth can sometimes build up over time. It takes a lot, over a long time, but having a day or two to flush it out every so often probably isn't a bad idea.
Thank you for your reply! I have tried pepto for this issue before and it helped, but since newly being back on a multi-vitamen and a pro biotic, i tend to me more constipated lately... or should i say i dont have diarrhea anymore and tend to strain to have a BM. So im afraid to try pepto again for that reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.