Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc had suggested I take OTC AZO supplements for bladder pain following my infections. Of course, I had to look up AZO on the Internet, and I was slightly horrified after reading about it.Apparently, the product is a popular analgesic that works - ok, good. However, I knew it contained dye, which I didn't like; then I found out that Azo dye has been implicated in bladder tumor cases. I got the impression that long-term exposure to the dye may be the problem, such as by workers in fabric plants where the dye is used. Therefore, perhaps short-term ingestion of AZO supplements is ok. But it's enough to scare me off at this point, given all my other problems. Besides, if I masked my bladder pain, then I'd hardly know when I was in infection mode.How about any of you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suggest going to a natural foods store and buying concentrated cranberry juice either in liquid or pill form.I take them when I feel a UTI coming on and it works great. I am very anti- antibiotic. I'd rather fix things naturally.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I haven't looked into AZO, I know I usually get a prescription called phenozopyridine that's an analgesic that you can also buy in stores in a lesser dose-- it turns your pee orangy-red. I think it really helps but as soon as it starts wearing off, I know right away...and also, you're not supposed to take it for more than 2 days. I thought about taking cranberry supplements but not sure if that will work or not. I'm just so sick of all this...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
erin, I think what you mention is similar to the AZO. Zephr, I can't drink the concentrated cran. juice. my nutritionist gave it to me a long time ago to take, even before I'd ever had a UTI, and I eventually concluded it bothered my bladder. I hope the cran. pills won't also bother me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
All I can do is praise the pill taht turns your urine bright orange. A few years back I got bladder infections so often that without them I would be stuck at home in pain. Now I get bladder infection once or twice a year and I still use the purple pill.they are the best to use until the antibotic kick in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.