Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EveryoneI have had IBS since 1993 and mostly it is under control. However, I was put on a course of anti inflammatory tablets and after taking 6 over 3 days my IBS is back with a vengence! I stopped the tablets 2 days ago, but that doesn't seem to have had an affect. I am rushing to the loo several times within minutes and having stomach cramps most of the time, so am now exhausted. I read with interest about calcium and I am actually taking that for osteoperosis, but these tablets are not having the binding affect at the moment, which could be because my gut is in super mode.Off on holiday tomorrow, so worrying about that isn't good either!Anyway, just wanted a bit of a moan and maybe I should take some Imodium tablets to see if they help. Thanks for listening.jaywoo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Once the gut gets set off by something like that it can take awhile for it to calm back down. It doesn't always stop right when you stop the medications.Imodium is a pretty reasonable thing to try. Start off with 1 pill 2X a day for a couple of days and if that is too much, back off, if not enough you can go to 2 pills twice a day or 2 pills that will cover the worst part of the day for you and one the other. Most people are better off taking it 2X a day (even with the same total dose) for IBS (although if you have bad diarrhea after meals you might do it 30 minutes before each meal) and you don't want to constipate yourself so taking a few days to work up to the dose that works is usually a better bet then starting with a bunch and then needing a laxative to get things going again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.