Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be long so forgive me. I went for my Barium enema today. Low residue diet on Saturday. Full liquids Sunday.... then at 4pm exactly I started the Bowel prep. What a mess, Iam a nurse but I never, ever had a patient that did what I did..all night long. We had to travel 45 minutes to get to the place to have the test. Didn't think I'd make it but I did. Praise God. I did bring extra clothes but didn't need them. Anyway they got me on the table and startd their stuff and I had some sort of Reaction, broke out in a sweat over 100% of my body, became very nauseous, BP went down, almost passed out and they had to stop the proceduree. ALL FOR NAUGHT. Now I'm sore and my whole digestive system is so screwed up I had to call off work tomorrow. Im bleeding, hurting, dehydrated and just feel lousy. Anyone else have this problem after a barium?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Marcy,what did the doctors say? Allergic to the prep?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proably a vaso-vagal response. There is a nerve that runs from the heart to the rectum of all things. It proably became quite irritated with the entrance of the enema. But you know modern science, no real answers

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Sorry Marcy never heard of that, its a new one on me. Good luck,I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Sorry that happened, Marcy. That must have been rough. What are they going to do now? Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yup Eric. You can cause a full fledged heart attack by overstimulating the vaso-vagal nerve. Not fun. That is why they do a few tests if there is any indication of heart problems before these proceedures. ------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

·
Registered
773 Posts
That's exactly what happens to me when I get really nervous. I think it's part of my agoraphobia. I'm sorry to hear that you had such an awful experience. Did this happen after the test, or as they were inserting the probe (as I like to call it). I'd guess it's just nerves, but what do I know.Spirit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marcy,I'm so sorry it was such a bad experience for you. Let us hear more from you when you feel like it.....------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience. Jesus. I mean, -- jeez. Now I'm twice as glad I quit the GP whose first idea to test me for my "abdominal pain" was a barium enema (before I knew I had IBS). At the time, my pulse had tested 117 a minute in the endocrinolgist's office and 100 in this guy's office. I read on the net that barium enema's aren't recommended for those with fast heart rates, became terrified and never went back. Finally went to a real GI. He said pain can cause a fast heart rate. I think it's still fast. But I'm not thinking about it right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vaso-vagal reaction sounds like a good possibility to me. I used to work at a GYN clinic and you can get the same reaction from a pelvic exam. The probe/s seem to stimulate that reaction in some people. Bummer that they had to stop the test after going through so much, prep, anxiety, travel, etc. I nevcr had a BE, just a colonoscopy, but I was exhausted and drained afterward as were you, probably from the dehydration. Hope you feel better soon
------------------Nancy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm an x-ray tech. and have done many barium enemas, never had a patient experience what you did. It sounds like an anxiety attack. I've had them before and you swear that something is seriously wrong because you feel so ill. Sorry about your experience, I hope you were treated well. I for one refuse to be on the receiving "end" of a barium enema.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Marcy,So sorry you had such an awful experience. I'm not a doctor or anything, but it sounds more like a Panic Attack to me. In any case, since they couldn't perform the test, what is your Dr. going to do now? Hope you feel better soon.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.